Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSI built in Laptop Webcam no longer working :( Help :(

• Please log in to reply

shadys321

shadys321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I used it and the only updates Chipset or Intel related I updated. Still, to no avail. I thank you for all your input, this thing has me completely stumped. I don't think the hardware itself failed as I was literally using it perfectly up until the moment I installed that file earlier in the thread. Ugh, I am at a loss :(

I do thank you for your advice very much so though.

Edited by shadys321, 08 December 2012 - 08:38 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I am not ready to admit defeat and so I will re-read the full topic in case I have missed something and then get back to you.

Have you considered reversing the BIOS update "how to"

Boot into the BIOS and check the entry near the top of the BIOS menu named "BIOS Revision" to see which version is installed.
Navigate to the "Exit" tab and choose the "Save Changes and Exit" entry.

Tap "Enter" and wait for the operating system to reboot. Navigate your Web browser to the support Web page for your specific computer model. Click the "Drivers and Downloads" link, or the equivalent option available on your computer manufacturer's Web page.

Select your operating system and language from the drop-down menus. Choose the "BIOS" entry to display a list of BIOS files available to be downloaded.

Locate the BIOS version that was released before your currently installed version.
Choose the name of the BIOS version and select "Download." Right-click the file and choose "Extract" if the BIOS was zipped, or simply double-click the executable file if the file wasn't zipped.

Select "Continue." Click "OK" and choose "Finish." Shut down the computer again after the BIOS is reversed to the old version.
Turn on the computer and access the BIOS utility again.

Press "F9," or the equivalent option to reload the BIOS utility's default settings.
The key at the bottom of the BIOS menu lists which button you need to tap to reload the settings.
Exit the BIOS and restart the computer.

Let us know the results.

The MSI website may be the best option for obtaining your previous BIOS version but earlier versions can be found elsewhere http://drivers.windo...0-download.html

shadys321

shadys321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes, I've always had the newest released BIOS version installed released form MSI (v1.14), and after some research last night, I found that the last version of the BIOS for my laptop that MSI released that had more options then I showed you was 1.0S, and as such, I downloaded it and flashed it. That is why you see more options via my screenshots in Post #12 of this thread.

I'm not sure if any of those new 'options' in my revised BIOS would help me though.

Edited by shadys321, 09 December 2012 - 12:10 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
What I was proposing was to revert back to a BIOS that was released before the one that caused your problem, as you have unfortunately found newer is not always better.

Just a FYI, BIOS and driver updates are predominantly released to fix buggy software and so unless you need the updates to resolve the specified problem/s you should leave well alone, this is particularly important with BIOS updates as a bad flash can hose your BIOS chip and render the computer useless.

shadys321

shadys321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, I have tried flashing all 'stable' BIOS versions I could find for my laptop, and the problem persists. I continue to uninsntall/reinstall from Device Manager, to no avail.
The problem persists no matter the BIOS. I also tried flashing the Firmware Update again. Still doesn't work.

There were no ways to revert to a previous one in my case, after doing some research I could only flash new ones. (Tried following your directions.)

I know the hardware itself isn't failing, I flashed something, somewhere, and now it seems I can't 'unflash' it. :/

EDIT: I know it's enabled in BIOS, because in 'my devices' USB 2.0 Webcam comes up, as per the screenshots. Although, right clicking and 'troubleshoot' detects no problems. Also, it is still listed as only 'USB Webcam' in Device Manager.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by shadys321, 11 December 2012 - 11:41 PM.

shadys321

shadys321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
New update: After uninstalling the device again from Device Manager and restarting the computer, DriverMax says it 'found' the drive for the Camera. Upon downloading it, it is the SAME EXACT FILE that caused all of this. You can see it in the sreenshot below. I opened the folder of the 'update' and also opened the program. This is what I used that messed it up in the first place. Notice the ''VID_04F2*) is not the same as the hardware ID that is reporting as the hardware location for the USB Webcam (USB Webcam Hardware ID). I wonder if that makes a difference.

Anyway, THIS is what caused my problem. I need to figure out a way to un-do, whatever this program does:

Posted Image

I believe I flashed the wrong firmware for my camera. The 'firmware update' on the MSI Downloads page is only 64kb, unlike this ~6MB + file. Any possible way I can get the full firmware for my camera besides from MSI (long out of warranty) :(

Edited by shadys321, 12 December 2012 - 12:33 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You could try joining the MSI forum and ask there http://forum-en.msi.com/ and for all things BIOS related http://forum-en.msi....x.php?board=8.0

Do you know anyone that you could borrow a webcam off for testing purposes, if only to see whether or not it will work with the drivers that are presently installed.

Feel Good 01

Feel Good 01

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This topic helped me to find the solution! I Thank all of you!

In my case, I have reloaded the driver for the USB Camera.

1 - De-install the former driver (Device Manager / USB Controllers / "Name of your USB camera controller" (for me : "Sonix ST50220 USB Video Camera"),
2 - Load and install the driver of your USB camera controller (Sonix ST50220 from download.cnet.com)...
3 - ... restart and it works!

Wishing this will help you and will solve your problem.

Edited by Feel Good 01, 06 December 2013 - 09:37 AM.