Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard and screen popping up

• Please log in to reply

MusketeerMom

MusketeerMom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Looking for some much needed help
When I hit a key, the screen showing the harddrive, etc keeps popping up. There is no rhyme or reason to it - the left shift key doesn't do it, but the right shift key does. The backspace button does it, but the odd time it works fine. Sometimes, a number key will call it up. It totally varies and it so frustrating.
I have called Gateway and the first time, I was told to keep hitting an Fkey and it would clear up the matter. That worked for about half a day. Called again today and was told to clear computer back to manufacturer start and I would lose all data. Told them that was not an option, that this was a business computer and there had to be another fix.
I did not want a Gateway computer and this does not help matters. A salesperson talked my husband into it from my suggestion of keeping up with HP purchases so we would get more bang for our buck. He's right about that because I'm ready to smash it.
Hoping that one of you will be able to help me. . .

Advertisements

RoniS

RoniS

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Not sure I understood you - you hit a key - and shows you your hard drive?..
As in - it opens the Windows Explorer (assuming you use Windows) - with your driver?..

MusketeerMom

MusketeerMom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, is that not weird? It can be any key (mainly seems to affect the backspace key and shift key), some days it rarely appears and other days continually. Today is a continually day - very irritating and maddening.
The screen that pops up is the screen showing the hard disk drive and the devices with removeable storage. The address bar shows > Computer >
I do use Windows and it is a desktop computer.
Any help would be much appreciated

RoniS

RoniS

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, the only thing I could think about was that you hit some combination maybe (like: CTRL+Windows Logo+F - Which open the "Find computer" window).
Maybe you've created a new shortcut to your hard drive somehow...
(or you have some bug that created it)

this is a list of windows shortcuts - try to see if you might clicked on something there...

I hope this helps you somehow :)