Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Essex Boy - continued... [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

VictoriaSquirrel

VictoriaSquirrel

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Dear Essexboy,

Hello again,

Sorry I have not been in touch. I could not get the computer to go for several days. I hav3e spent literaly hours and hours getting nowhere. Just freezing, crashing or not responding..... However, I was just about to give it up when it started up once more, though very slow with problems still.

I have done what you told me and downloaded the programmes to sort the memory stick, which took a couple of days. I think for now I will leave that aside and not use the stick again, rather than risk the computer packing up altogether.

Yesterday I could not get my email to open (Chrome) - using Hotmail/Outlook, nor could I get Explorer to work properly either. Message said it had to verify Google account. I checked everywhere in case it was a scam, but seemed genuine, but it took most of the day to do this. Today I had to change the passwords again - 3rd time, to log on to my email. Another problem is that Explorer continues to open, yesterday 26 times, and I cannot close it down as it is unresponsive. It can take hours... or I just unplug it as a last resort.

I have been online this afternoon. Programmes are very slow, often unresponsive, and finally nothing happened. I did a restart and got the message "Log on process has failed to create the security dialogue". No icons for AVG or firewall. Finally, and several shut downs/restarts later, nothing opening, and a grey screen, I finally got it going and i HAVE RAN THE FOLLOWING:

AVG Free anti virus
CCleaner + registry
Malwarebites
Spyware Blaster
Windows Disc Cleanup
All show no infections. I have spent hours trying to do this.

I was horrified to see only 3% free space, (I have now "improved" this slightly) so I also ran WinDirStat. I cannot understand this as I have recently got rid of a lot of "heavy" programmes like iTunes. I have sent you this scan.

I feel this computer is getting beyond my control...... do you think I should do a re-install? I made discs when I had the computer new almost 4 years ago.

So sorry this has turned out to be a saga. Here's hoping.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi VS in this sort of situation I would go for a reinstall of the system, especially as it does not appear to be malware related. Anything you need assistance with then I will be here

VictoriaSquirrel

VictoriaSquirrel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks. I will do that. Any tips? If I save to the cloud, e.g.Google Docs, will I lose it if I reinstall?

Enjoy your weekend.

VS

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Dependant on how much data you want to save you could put it all in dropbox and then pick it back up again after the re-install

There is a reformat tutorial here although it is for XP the preparation will be the same for all systems

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.