Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Black screen/background [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

milanmagan

milanmagan

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi there,

In another thread a guy had the same problem - http://www.geekstogo...een-t31206.html

I went to the link that Metallica posted, but wasn't able to find the program there. Anyway, here's my log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:31:53 PM, on 6/6/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Program Files\Philips\Sound Agent 2\mc500cpl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\carpserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Magan\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QveCtl2Tray] C:\Program Files\Philips\Sound Agent 2\mc500cpl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MsgCenterExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\RealOneMessageCenter.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WinGet.exe] C:\Program Files\Indentix\WinGet\WinGet.exe /silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FreeRAM XP] "C:\Documents and Settings\Magan\Desktop\framxpro\FreeRAM XP Pro 1.40.exe" -win
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - http://www.symantec....sa/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.syma...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - http://www.symantec....sa/SymAData.cab
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

THANK YOU!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
What kind of problem were you having prior to the black desktop?

First, download, install, and run CleanUp! (so the scan won't take as long because cleanup will clear temporary files) *NOTE* Cleanup deletes EVERYTHING out of temp/temporary folders. If you have anything in a temp folder, backup it up or move it to a permanent folder prior to running Cleanup!

Please download Ewido Security Suite
  • Install ewido security suite
  • Launch ewido, there should be a big E icon on your desktop, double-click it.
  • The program will prompt you to update click the OK button
  • The program will now go to the main screen
You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
  • On the left hand side of the main screen click update
  • Click on Start
The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.

Once the updates are installed do the following:
  • Reboot into Safe Mode, you can do this by restarting your computer, then contiunally tapping F8 until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode, then hit enter. Then, run Ewido.
  • Click on scanner
  • Make sure the following boxes are checked before scanning:
    • Binder
    • Crypter
    • Archives
  • Click on Start Scan
  • Let the program scan the machine
While the scan is in progress you will be prompted to clean files, click OK

Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
  • Click Save report
  • Save the report to your desktop
Reboot into normal mode.

Then, please run this online virus scan:
ActiveScan

Save the results from ActiveScan.

I need you to post the log from Ewido, the log from ActiveScan and a new HiJackThis log.

milanmagan

milanmagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Okay, I was able to download killbox.exe from that thread I posted about above... But I have already deleted hookdump.exe from my comp using hijackthis... So my question is now, what file[s] should I delete to get rid of this problem? It's like an ad that has taken over the desktop background, saying, like "Waaah, you will get in trouble with your bosses, and family because of all the [bleep] on your computer - click here to remove all spyware from your pc; and when you click that link it takes you to antivirus-gold.com!

It's a really sneaky ad; and it really sucks! All the icons on my desktop are highlighted, and so I have to right click and open to get into them. No program I have will detect what's wrong: I even paid $39.95 to Xoftspy today, in hope that if I registered I could get rid of it, but it didn't pick it up..!

You know, I downloaded kazaa the other day; and this is when all this sh*t started... what a mistake that was! Xoftspy got rid of 1,136 files from my comp; I would recommend it, it's a great program, but it's not getting rid of this black screen from my comp right now... Can someone please help? Thanking you in advance, Milan.

milanmagan

milanmagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks bananafanafo! Sorry, I didn't see your post there before I posted mine ~ I am doing what you said right now...

Thanks! :tazz:

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Xoftspy also removes legitimate files it marks as bad so I really can't recommend it.

Ok, to fix the desktop:

Open Notepad, and copy everything inside the code box (Starting with REGEDIT4) below and paste it into a new notepad file. Go up to "File" > "Save As...". A box will open up. Change the "Save As Type" to "All Files". Save it as avgold.reg on your Desktop. Make sure there is NO blank line above REGEDIT4 Don't do anything with it yet.

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components\1]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"Intel system tool"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AntivirusGold]

* Download the Killbox by Option^Explicit.

* Save it to your desktop.

* Run Killbox.exe.

* Select "Delete on Reboot".

* Copy the file names below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them then press CTRL + C

C:\Windows\System32\hookdump.exe
C:\Windows\System32\winnook.exe
C:\Windows\desktop.html
C:\Windows\screen.html

* Return to Killbox, go to the File menu, and choose "Paste from Clipboard".

* Click the red-and-white "Delete File" button. Click "Yes" at the Delete on Reboot prompt. Click "No" at the Pending Operations prompt. If your computer does not restart automatically, please restart it manually.

While it's restarting, tap the F8 key until a menu appears. use your up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode and hit enter.

Double-click avgold.reg on your desktop. When asked if you want to merge with the registry click YES.

Delete the whole folder below (in bold)

C:\Program Files\AntiVirusGold

Reboot into normal mode.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Display > Desktop > Customize desktop > Web > Uncheck "Security Info"

Minimize all open windows. Then, I need you to put your mouse pointer at the top of your computer screen (on your desktop) - in an open space. Left-click and hold the button and drag the screen. You will see an X. Please click the X to close the window this stupid thing put on there. :tazz:

Post a new HiJackThis log.

Edited by bananafanafo, 06 June 2005 - 03:35 AM.

milanmagan

milanmagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi there,

Did all you said. Though, there was no C:\ProgramFiles\AntivirusGold

I have, however, gotten my desktop background back to normal now.

The computer is running REALLY slowly now though. It takes, like, 2 minutes to get all the icons to appear on startup...

That's a real shame about the Xoftspy! Which program do you recommend I get then?

Thanks for all your help :tazz: here's my lastest hijack log:

Scan saved at 10:27:04 PM, on 6/6/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QveCtl2Tray] C:\Program Files\Philips\Sound Agent 2\mc500cpl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MsgCenterExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\RealOneMessageCenter.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WinGet.exe] C:\Program Files\Indentix\WinGet\WinGet.exe /silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FreeRAM XP] "C:\Documents and Settings\Magan\Desktop\framxpro\FreeRAM XP Pro 1.40.exe" -win
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - http://www.symantec....sa/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.syma...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - http://www.symantec....sa/SymAData.cab
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

milanmagan

milanmagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
(this looks suspicious: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe Do you know what it is?)

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I need you to go back to my first post and run ActiveScan and save the log. Post the results from ActiveScan here.

Yes I know what this is:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

It manages Windows Updates.

milanmagan

milanmagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Here are the results:

Scanned Yes 103179 0
Infected - 0 0
Suspicious - 0 0
Disinfected - 0 0
:tazz:

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Excellent! :tazz:

Let's do this:

If you didn't do this earlier, please do it now:
Download, install, and run CleanUp!. Cleanup deletes EVERYTHING out of temporary/temp files and does not make backups. If you have anything you need in temporary folders, back it up or move it prior to running cleanup!

*Please dowload: RegSeeker.
*Click on "Clean The Registry" in the left panel.
*Check all boxes (make sure the backup box in the lower left corner is selected!).
*After it runs, click "Select All" on the bottom, then right-click on any selected item in the window and select "Delete Selected Items".
*Click "Quit RegSeeker".

Now, open any of your installed programs, and make sure that everything opens ok. If so, reboot, then go back and run the RegSeeker again. Continue to Run RegSeeker, reboot, run RegSeeker again until there are none to very few items left. You have to make sure to reboot between each use of RegSeeker.

Post a new HiJackThis log.

milanmagan

milanmagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Yep, downloaded that. It found something like 650 files, and I deleted them all. My comp seems to be working great now. Thanks!

milanmagan

milanmagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ah oui, the hijack log:

Scan saved at 11:30:27 AM, on 6/9/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
It's looks great! I'm glad you're not having any more problems ;)

Congratulations your log is clean! Great job on the clean up :tazz:

I recommend checking the http://www.microsoft.com website periodically for critical updates to install.

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:

Ewido Security Suite <= Protection against Trojans, Worms, Dialers, Hijackers, Spyware, and Keyloggers.

Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Prevention Programs:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.