Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer freezes when I play any game, requiring reboot

• Please log in to reply

LittleRaven

LittleRaven

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
First off let me apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I don't know if my problem is software or hardware, but I'm hoping it's software so I'm posting here.

I recently built a new computer specifically for gaming (specs posted below) but it freezes completely while I play any game (Specifically Skyrim or Borderlands 2), requiring a system restart by holding the power button. I've tried everything I can think of. All my drivers are up to date, I've tweaked graphics settings both basic and advanced (such as setting the affinity of the games to just 2 cores, as I have seen suggested online, as well as adjusting the 3D settings in the NVIDIA control panel). I've run memtest86 and the memtest that is on the Windows 7 disc. Reformatted and reinstalled fresh Win 7. System temps are well within limits. There are other things I've tried that I can't think of at the moment, but I've spent a week troubleshooting this problem with zero luck.

Both memtests came back clean, by the way. 0 errors.

If anyone can help me solve this, I would be so grateful!

System Specs
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service Pack 1
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Revision 1.1 with BIOS version F8
CPU: AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz Eight Cores
Ram: Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 4x4Gb
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 660
HDD 1: Hitachi 300GB in 2 partitions, Windows on C:
HDD 2: Seagate 2TB
PSU: SilverStone 700W

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I quick check shows that there is a new bios update available. Recommend that you perform a bios update.

Are these games installed through Steam?

LittleRaven

LittleRaven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
After a couple weeks of troubleshooting I finally tracked the problem down. For some odd reason my processor was overclocked by default in the BIOS. I turned that off and all was fixed. It never occurred to me to check that until I found my CPU was overheating, because who sets the processor to overclock as a default setting?

Oh well, it was an easy fix once I figured out what the problem was. I'm just glad I didn't have to replace any hardware.