Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent Internet Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply

speedyg

speedyg

• Pip
  • 3 posts
We have a home PC with Vista on it. It has been fine for years, but recently when you start it you can see that it is not connecting to the internet. The "currently Connected to..." icon comes up showing with a yellow triangle on it and excalamtion mark, which I know means the internet won’t work. It takes about 3 goes and then eventually connects. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

I was reading the comments and noticed the ones saying to disable Internt Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6). We have Internt Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv4)as well. Can someone explain what IPv6 does and why are there suggestions to disable it.

Thanks
Gill

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi speedyg,

Welcome to Geeks to Go!:)

Is this a desktop or laptop and are you connected with an ethernet cable or are you wireless?

How are you set up to connect to the internet? Router and modem? If so, please power cycle the 2 devices by unplugging both from the wall socket and waiting 5-10 minutes before plugging in the modem, waiting a few minutes, then plugging in the router.

Donna :)

speedyg

speedyg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey Donna

Thanks for the quick response (or should I say Speedy! :thumbsup: )

This is a desktop and we're connected with an ethernet cable.

Yes we are set up with router and modem. I shall try what you have suggested. I know we have had a few problems with our phone line recently. So this may well be related.

thanks again

Gillian

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi speedyg,

You're welcome! :)

I know we have had a few problems with our phone line recently. So this may well be related.

Yes, you'll need to eliminate that possibility as well. Calling your ISP provider may help. They should be able to troubleshoot from their end to eliminate this possibility.

My fingers are crossed, hoping it is just a matter of power cycling the modem and router.

:)

Edited by DonnaB, 10 December 2012 - 11:42 AM.

mrstery2003

mrstery2003

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Studio One desktop and I recently had it cleaned due to a horrible virus. Now, after paying $150 to have it cleaned it will no longer stay connected to my wireless router. It will connect as soon as I start it up but after about 5 min it drops and keeps telling me the adapter is not connected. However, I have a strong signal and I keep clicking connect but I will get a message saying windows cannot connect to "XXXXX" my wireless name. Please help!!! I work from home and I hate connecting through ethernet because the main modem is in my son's room.

speedyg

speedyg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Donna

We have tried what you suggested and to no avail. Unplugging everything, putting it all back together, changing the ethernet cable. You name it, and we still have the intermittent issue. I was quite please that it only took 1 reboot tonight!
Should I look at disabling the TCP/IPv6 protocol as we have both that and IPv4.

cheers

Gillian