Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Restarts When I Shut Down + Other Problems (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
safe for me to hold the pin with my fingers just like that?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
Perfectly safe as long as you do not touch anything else on the MB.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hi, sorry its been a long time again since I've replied.. I just tried to do the barebones set up now and have a few pictures to go along with it.

To summarize, I done it but stopped because I thought there was something wrong, the computer still restarts after going on shut down :(

Anyway, I took the steps that you told me to do which was to remove the graphics card/psu out first as well as the hard drive.. I unscrewed the fan at the rear of the case which connects to the water cooling and removed the motherboard. I noticed that there were only a few screws that was holding the motherboard on place in the case but I'm not entirely sure if that would've mattered or not.

As I placed the motherboard on the cardboard, I attached the hard drive, graphics card, 1 ram stick, keyboard and screen. I wasn't 100% sure if I connected everything properly but I managed to power the computer up using the pins that I bent on a U-shape.

However, a message on the screen popped up saying 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.'

Thinking back about it now, I don't think I plugged everything in and it could be the reason why. The problem is it is so long to do without any help or experience with the insides of a computer (my friend never replied and was always busy coming up with excuses so I tried to do bare bones myself)

I have also realized that my case is small and the rear fan isn't really in the right place due to it being connected on to the water cooling.

As I was gonna place another stick of RAM into the computer, I turned it off first and when I inserted the other stick of RAM it wouldn't turn on and I thought that was the problem but when I took it out and tried to turn it on with just 1 RAM stick it still wouldn't turn on. I panicked and thought that I done something wrong so I placed everything back into the case and now it works fine.

Not really working fine, as it still restarts after going shut down but at the moment, the computer is running on 2 RAM sticks rather than me usually running 1.. This computer is getting weird lol, One minute it is okay, next minute it isn't. The real problem is that it still restarts after going on shut down.

Another thing I've been noticing lately was when I start up my computer, it takes a long time to connect to the internet when I'm just on the home screen. I don't know if its the internet or just my computer having a problem again.

Here are the pictures anyway:

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 21-02-2013 10 05 42.jpg
  • Photo 21-02-2013 09 44 58.jpg
  • Photo 21-02-2013 09 37 38.jpg
  • Photo 21-02-2013 09 58 05.jpg

Edited by Vinceroman, 21 February 2013 - 05:26 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts

To summarize, I done it but stopped because I thought there was something wrong,

Please explain what you thought was wrong.

I noticed that there were only a few screws that was holding the motherboard on place in the case but I'm not entirely sure if that would've mattered or not.

The MB that you have should be held in place by a total of nine screws, if the MB is not secured correctly it will flex when it gets hot and you will have grounding problems which can cause all sorts of problems and damage.

However, a message on the screen popped up saying 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.'

This suggests that the HDD was not connected correctly or that there is a problem with it.

I have also realized that my case is small and the rear fan isn't really in the right place due to it being connected on to the water cooling.

Please explain.
The fan should only be mounted using the appropriate screw holes (commonly four in number) and this is normally identifiable by a perforated area at the rear of the case.

What I suggest you do now is download and burn Puppy Linux to a disk or copy to a USB stick, this will allow you to disconnect the HDD and boot from Puppy as Puppy does not use the HDD it uses the Ram to function, I am suggesting this so that we can see if the system also restarts when you shut the computer down when using Puppy, if it doesn`t then a closer look should be taken at the HDD and/or the operating system on it.

We can come back to the Puppy Linux option when you have clarified the information that I have requested above.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
What went wrong I thought was, when I placed the paper clip to shut down the computer so I can place the other stick of RAM, and when I tried to run the motherboard again using the paperclip, it wouldn't turn on. After this, I removed the RAM stick that I previously placed hoping it would turn on but it didn't which is why I panicked and just placed everything back into the case.

At the moment, I remember I only have like 4 screws I think that is holding the motherboard. I will buy some more so when I re-do the barebones set up I will have a screw for each hole. There is a problem however, I am not entirely sure how the inside of the case fits together (the rear of the case, there is a silver piece that covers the usb/ethernet and stuff. Will that be needed or can I just leave it out?

I now know that the HDD required another cable that I did not plug in so next time I do a barebones set up I will have it connected properly.

What I mean about the fan at the rear of the case is that, the cables from the PSU that connects to the motherboard is blocking the area of where the fan would normally go, this is why the rear fan is not as efficient as it should because it is not placed correctly. There are images on post 126 and 128 with the rear fan connected to the watercooling.

A few more questions and some things that I noticed..

Am I allowed to hold the motherboard anywhere whenever I handle it after touching the case to ground myself?
Is it okay to touch the bottom part of the HDD (green part area) whenever I handle it?
When I need to place another component onto the motherboard (like another stick of RAM) I would need to connect the paperclip to turn off the motherboard first and unplug right?

What I noticed because I leave the computer on overnight sometimes, is that my computer would randomly restart or something as the lights from the fan go dim and silent then all of a sudden go brighter and louder as it would boot up, then it would go back to normal. When I start the computer it is where I left it

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
Yes purchase the correct amount and type of mounting screws as this is what helps to ground the MB.

There is a problem however, I am not entirely sure how the inside of the case fits together (the rear of the case, there is a silver piece that covers the usb/ethernet and stuff. Will that be needed or can I just leave it out?

What you describe sounds like the I/O (input/output) plate like the one below, this must be n place as it is also grounds the MB/USB ports etc, these are easy to fit as all you need to do is make sure that the cut outs on the plate correspond with the ports on the MB and then push into place from the inside of the case, you will note that it has a lip around the edge of the plate which allows the plate to sit flush with the PC chassis (countersunk).

I will take a closer look at the images that you have provided, anything not fitted correctly could cause a short circuit.

Am I allowed to hold the motherboard anywhere whenever I handle it after touching the case to ground myself?

It is better to hold the MB between the two palms of your hands and around the edge of the MB as this will avoid natural skin oils coming into contact with the solder circuits etc on the MB, you are correct about the grounding yourself first.

Is it okay to touch the bottom part of the HDD (green part area) whenever I handle it?

Avoid doing this for the same reason as the MB because natural skin oils can actually cause corrosion of electrical circuits, this is why it is best to wear protective gloves when replacing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB.

When I need to place another component onto the motherboard (like another stick of RAM) I would need to connect the paperclip to turn off the motherboard first and unplug right?

The system must be shut down and disconnected from the wall socket yes but depending on what hardware is connected will determine the way you should do this, if the HDD and the keyboard/mouse are connected and the computer boots into the operating system you must use the correct shutdown procedure, if no HDD is fitted short out the two pins and then leave it for a while to see if it restarts on it`s own, if not disconnect the power cord from the wall socket, add the next component and repeat the procedure until all hardware is connected outside of the case or you identify a bad component.

What I noticed because I leave the computer on overnight sometimes, is that my computer would randomly restart or something as the lights from the fan go dim and silent then all of a sudden go brighter and louder as it would boot up, then it would go back to normal. When I start the computer it is where I left it

This suggests that the computer is not completing the correct shutdown procedure.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Okay, I will re-do the bare bones set up again when I have time. I will also take pictures along the way and still need to go buy and some more screws

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
OK, keep us posted and remember that for the barebones set-up you don`t need to wait until you have the additional five screws.

NB: I see what you mean about the rear cooling fan, there is not much room which is not ideal.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
So that just means that there is nothing I can do about it except get a bigger case or not use water cooling right

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
Having scrutinized the pictures again I am unable to see a way that you can make that cooling system fit in the case correctly, even if the cooling fan and radiator were mounted to the top of the case they would interfere with either the 8 pin ATX power supply connection on the MB or the Ram/DIMM slots, in essence that cooling arrangement is not appropriate for that case.

Advertisements

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
With the bare bones set up, what am I actually looking for? the only part I will need to plug in is the other stick of RAM as well as the media player.

I start with the motherboard/one stick of ram/graphics card/keyboard/screen/psu and hdd and try to load up onto the BIOS

What do I do when I get on the BIOS?
What do I do when I don't get on the BIOS?

After this, I turn off the computer using the paperclip touching the PWR and GROUND pins and attach the other RAM

What do I do when it starts up?
What do I do when it does not?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts

With the bare bones set up, what am I actually looking for? the only part I will need to plug in is the other stick of RAM as well as the media player.
We are testing to see if the system still restarts outside of the case, if it does it rules out a short between the case and the MB.

I start with the motherboard/one stick of ram/graphics card/keyboard/screen/psu and hdd and try to load up onto the BIOS
Partially correct, we need the system to boot into Windows successfully so that you can try shutting the computer down the correct way that you would normally do, again to see if the computer restarts on it`s own or not, from my reply #141

The system must be shut down and disconnected from the wall socket yes but depending on what hardware is connected will determine the way you should do this, if the HDD and the keyboard/mouse are connected and the computer boots into the operating system you must use the correct shutdown procedure, if no HDD is fitted short out the two pins and then leave it for a while to see if it restarts on it`s own, if not disconnect the power cord from the wall socket, add the next component and repeat the procedure until all hardware is connected outside of the case or you identify a bad component.

Please take the time to read the information that is provided so as to avoid duplication.

What do I do when I get on the BIOS?
What do I do when I don't get on the BIOS?
We want the computer to boot into Windows for the reason/s explained above.

After this, I turn off the computer using the paperclip touching the PWR and GROUND pins and attach the other RAM
No see above regarding shutting Windows down correctly in Windows.
What do I do when it starts up?
Boot into Windows hopefully.
What do I do when it does not?
Let us know so that we can make some suggestions to check.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Just finished doing the bare bones set up and I got some news. The computer booted up to the home screen with the standard stuff that was kept on.

When I went on shut down using the keyboard, the computer still restarted so I had to shut it down using the paper clip.

After this I connected the other stick of RAM and also tried to shut it down how I would normally do but it still restarted.

I removed the hard drive and see if it would shut down but it still restarted after going on shut down.

I have also added the additional screws and the computer is running fine with 2 RAM sticks at the moment, the only problem is that it still restarts after going on shut down.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
Thanks for the update and a job well done on your behalf with the testing :thumbsup:

The bad news now is that your MB is the prime suspect as the cause of the restart issue and most likely a short in the soldered circuit, this based on the fact that the only other possible cause would be the PSU but as you previously tried a replacement 750W PSU and the system still restarted would appear to rule that out, pity that you never had the other PSU available today for testing as this could have confirmed the MB 100% as the cause.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Where can I move on from this situation?