Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Restarts When I Shut Down + Other Problems (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the correct link Phillpower2.

Vinceroman. Sorry, I picked up the wrong link. Before making any changes, just try using the hibernate instead of shut down and see if the computer stays off.

Advertisements

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Trying option 3 and following the steps, enabling and disabling hibernate, the computer still restarted.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK.
Looks like we will need to ensure basic setting are set in the BIOS and work from there.
Restart the computer and enter the BIOS. on the first screen, check time and date are correct. > Press F5, a confirmation screen will open, > Select OK. > press F10.

After windows has loaded, press the power button Briefly, do no hold it in. The computer should go to sleep. Tap any keyboard key or button on the mouse, the computer should wake from sleep. This method is safe to use for controlling the computer.

Holding in the power button for more than 4 seconds will shut down the computer. This should only be used if the system freezes or fails to respond to an input device. It is bad to continuously use this method as it can cause corruption to both the OS files and user DATA files.

Try shutting down or hibernating from the start menu now.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
So I just went on the BIOS screen, (pressing delete button from first screen). Check the time and date and it was correct.

When I loaded up on to windows, I pressed the power button on the Case but that button would normally shut it down, the computer however restarted.

When I go on start then shut down, the computer would still restart.

Shall I put hibernate on the power button rather than shut down?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
When in the BIOS, did you load default setting, save settings and exit?
What happened when you just briefly pressed the power button?
What happened when you held the power button in for 4 seconds then released it?

Shall I put hibernate on the power button rather than shut down?

No. not yet.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
How do I get it to be under default settings?

When I briefly press the button, it says on the screen that it is shutting down but what it actually does is the computer powers off but the fans remain spinning then thecomputer boots up again.

If I hold the power button the case for 4 seconds, the computer shuts down and stays off.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

How do I get it to be under default settings?

in post #183
"Restart the computer and enter the BIOS. on the first screen, check time and date are correct.(that bit you did OK)
next> Press F5, a confirmation screen will open,
next> Select OK.
next> press F10."
The computer will restart.

When I briefly press the button, it says on the screen that it is shutting down but what it actually does is the computer powers off but the fans remain spinning then the computer boots up again.

That is still not fixed yet.

If I hold the power button the case for 4 seconds, the computer shuts down and stays off.

That is now correct but should only be used when the computer freezes or the keyboard and mouse do nothing. use the start menu, shut down to turn off the computer.

When yuo have done the steps in the BIOS and the computer has booted into window.
See if it will shut down using the start menu and stay off.

Does your case have a second button marked, Reset?
are you still running on 1 or 2 sticks of RAM?
Is the computer running stable?

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
When I go on the start menu then click the shut down button, on the screen, it displays that it is shutting down then the monitor screen goes black. The computer's noise goes quitter but the fans can still be heard spinning. This happens for about 4-5 seconds then the motherboard beeps and the computer goes a bit louder back to usual which means that the computer is restarting. - this is what I mean that the computer restarts when I go on shut down.

There is a second button on my case and yes it is the restart button and as far as I know, that is working fine.

My computer is running on one stick of RAM at the moment due to what's recently happened that I put on previous posts. Even if I had two sticks of RAM in, the computer still restarts.

The computer is running stable even though I have recently noticed that the computer takes a while to connect to the internet and fully start up (windows music) when I have logged on. Other things I have noticed is when I don't use the computer and leave it on (at night) the computer randomly restarts but when I check, it was like it was must on sleep as the programs that I left with are still on.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

I have had a look at all the options for the power button.
Yours is actually set to defaults and is now fixed.
How to use.
A brief press (resets) shuts the computer Down in the correct manner, (fans keep going) The BIOS performs the POST, a beep code is emitted, computer Boots into the OS.
Use this method if the computer freezes, mouse or keyboard input stops, a process gets stuck and Task Manger will not stop it.

Pressing the button for more than 4 second performs a Hard Stop. The computer stops without proper shut down. When you start the computer again, the BIOS may not perform the correct POST., Boot up may not happen, you may get a message like"windows not shut down correctly, restart and select Last Know Good" This method should only be used as a lost resort.

You did not tell us if you were successful with setting the BIOS to Defaults, If it is not done, please do it now before going further. important you let us know.

We will now have a go at sorting out the on screen shut down. first is to check the file system for errors using option one from the link below.
Please read and then follow my instructions.
>http://www.sevenforu...disk-check.html

Perform step 1. 2. 3.
Step 4. In the winnow that is open, tick Automatically Fix File System Errors , then click start.
This window will open.

Posted Image

Click on Schedule disk check.

if the computer does not start within about 10 seconds.
Briefly press the power button.

Posted Image WarningOnce the Disk Check scan starts, DO NOT STOP the scan to prevent possible damage to the data on your hard drive.

When the Scan is complete the computer will restart.
Please run the scan another 2 times.

When the above is finished, see if the computer will shut down using the on screen shut down Icon.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I've loaded the BIOS settings to default and ran the disk check 3 times and after the 3rd time of booting the computer up, the computer still restarted after I went on start -> shut down icon.

Things I have noticed however,
I had to restart the computer, (start button -> restart button) so it could run the disk check. I done this 3 times.
After a disk check, when the computer boots up and shows my desktop screen, it took a few seconds until the Windows noise came. I don't think it was like this before.

What would you like me to do next?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Good to see you have loaded the Default BIOS setting. I will get to the Shut Down Icon still not working later.
From Post #188

Other things I have noticed is when I don't use the computer and leave it on (at night) the computer randomly restarts but when I check, it was like it was must on sleep as the programs that I left with are still on.

we will try fixing this first by disabling, Wake On LAN..
Follow the instruction from the link below .
> http://www.ehow.com/...ake-up-lan.html

After a disk check, when the computer boots up and shows my desktop screen, it took a few seconds until the Windows noise came. I don't think it was like this before.

Files may have been moved about, there will be a lot of Temp files, the HDD will need cleaning up and defragging. We will do that after most of the work is done.

Possible repair for the start menu shut dow.

1. > Click the Start button.

2. > In the search box, type command prompt.

2. > In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. > In the command prompt window type shutdown /s and press Enter,

check if this works.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Glad to see you set the BIOS, Posted Image
To see if other options on the shut down menu work.
Bring up the shut down Icon. Just to the right is a little triangle, click it, on the menu, click hibernate. Did it work?

I have noticed is when I don't use the computer and leave it on (at night) the computer randomly restarts but when I check, it was like it was must on sleep as the programs that I left with are still on.

This could be part of the problem so will try a fix. Go to the link below and follow the instruction.

http://www.ehow.com/...ake-up-lan.html

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I have disabled wake-up-lan, and also tried using the command prompt and typing in 'shutdown /s' but unfortunately the computer still restarted.

Also, there is no hibernate when I go on start then the little triangle it only comes up as 'switch user, log off, lock, restart, sleep'

When I go on sleep, the computer would just restart.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Also, there is no hibernate when I go on start then the little triangle it only comes up as 'switch user, log off, lock, restart, sleep'<br style="color: rgb(13, 41, 117); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(242, 242, 242);">When I go on sleep, the computer would just restart.

OK. We will try a couple of other things.

Step 1:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and click System.
2. Click Advanced System Settings.
3. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or clickAllow.
4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
5. Under System failure, click to clear the “Automatically restart” check box.
6. Click OK, and then click OK.
Now try to shutdown the computer and check.

Stpo 2.
create a restore point. In the name box enter, Power Configuration.

Step 3:
Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then clickRun as administrator.
Copy and paste the below command in the command
powercfg.exe -restoredefaultschemes
Hit Enter in the Keyboard.
Exit the Command prompt.

Now try to shutdown the computer and check.

If this fails please do the following.

Go System Restore, find Power Configuration, Restore.

From Post #190.

Files will have been moved about, there will be lots of Temp files. The HDD will need to be Cleaned and Defragged. We will do this later after sorting the issue.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
None of the steps worked, after clicking shut down from the start menu, the computer just restarted