Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Restarts When I Shut Down + Other Problems (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Restart the computer and hold down F8.
On the screen that opens, click on Safe Mode. The computer will restart, it will look odd, that is normal.
On the start menus, select shut down.
Does the computer stay off?
Press the power button to start computer.
If you get another option screen, select, Start Windows Normally, > Press enter.

Advertisements

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Restarted the computer and held F8, nothing happened

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Check you have no disk in the Optical drive, or floppy, if you have one.
Turn off the computer using the power button.
Press power button again and Straight away continuously tap the F8 key.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
It did not work. When I pressed F8 it came up with a menu and when I chose one it just booted up to windows. Even when I turned off the computer using the power button on the case, it did not work

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Hi.
What was on the Menu?

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
It was asking which one to choose between sata and optical drive. Im not reslly sure because I'm not home right now

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 16-03-2013 15 16 35.jpg

Edited by Vinceroman, 16 March 2013 - 09:19 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
You need to have another go.

Please read this, > http://pcsupport.abo...e-windows-7.htm
When the options screen opens, use the up and down arrow keys to highlight "safe mode with networking. Then press enter on the keyboard. Your computer will restart.
When windows has loaded, (the screen will look funny) Shut down the computer using the on screen way.
Does the computer stay off?

What kind of disk do you have for windows OS?

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
What do you mean by disk for windows OS? - Windows 7 Ultimate but not genuine.

I have also just tried to go on shut down after going on 'safe mode with networking.' The computer still restarted?

Edited by Vinceroman, 17 March 2013 - 02:40 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Yes I did mean the windows 7 installation disk.
Thank you for being honest and letting us know it is not a genuine licence This may be the reason for not being able to repair the system as the original installation of the operating system could have had corrupted files. We should have had success with at least one of the options we tried.

The next step would have been to attempt to do a repair installation but I now think this will not work.

You will need to buy a new OEM windows 7 like this > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116986
Or Windows 8 > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832416550

Do you have the disk or disks that came with your Motherboard?

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Disk that came with the motherboard as in a genuine copy? I still have the Windows 7 one but I don't really know how to install it because of the codes that would be needed to put up

I've just reformatted my computer using the CD, will be re installing the programs and later I will find out if the computer would restart after going on shut down using the various steps you have given and I will let you know.

Tried to do the steps but none worked and the computer just restarted after going on shutdown.

Edited by Vinceroman, 19 March 2013 - 10:07 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

Disk that came with the motherboard as in a genuine copy?

For clarity do you mean the original disk that came with the MB or a copy of the original disk that was supplied with the MB.

I still have the Windows 7 one but I don't really know how to install it because of the codes that would be needed to put up

Please tell us the exact type of Windows 7 disk it is that you have, a genuine full retail Microsoft OS disk, a burned copy of a genuine Microsoft OS disk, an OEM OS disk such as provided by Dell, HP, a store for example or an ISO downloaded from the internet.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
This is the CD that I mean. I reformatted the computer and I managed to do fine, the problem is still there however that the computer restarts after going on shut down.

The stock heat sink arrived and I will be doing the barebones set up with it may be on Friday.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 19-03-2013 23 16 47.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Your OS disk would appear to be an OEM type like the example @ http://www.galaxysto...CFUbKtAodOE8Ajg
This will have been supplied with a 25 digit product key/code of authenticity which is only permitted to be used on the one computer/motherboard, see canned text below;

Unless the OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

No inference is intended and the above is for clarification purposes as you seem a little unsure in your earlier reply;

I still have the Windows 7 one but I don't really know how to install it because of the codes that would be needed to put up

The OS licence is an asides from the re-starting issue but it is important that you tell us how and where you obtained the Windows 7 disk to ensure that you have not been sold a pirated copy or one where the product key is already in use on another computer.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
This cd was bought at the beginning and it is what I have used for my computer and has only been in used with this motherboard. It's the genuine copy and also, the reason why I was using widows 7 ultimate was because my friend wanted to test if reformatting the computer with his OS would work but the problem was still there.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
  • Please download WVCheck by Artellos from one of the mirrors below;

Artellos.com (exe)
    Artellos.com (zip)

• After the download, run WVCheck.exe
  • As indicated by the prompt, This program can take a while depending on your hard drive space.
  • Once the program is done, copy the contents of the notepad file as a reply.