Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Restarts When I Shut Down + Other Problems (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I've taken out the graphics card and it started fine, the screen is a lot smaller and resolution but I think that can be sorted out. I will try to see if the computer would shut down if I go 'shut down' rather than the problem where it restarts after shut down..

Attached Thumbnails

• 111.jpg

Advertisements

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
The computer still restarted after I go on shut down..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

You have now ruled out the video card as causing the problem at least but before you replace it can you check what the voltage readings are with HWMonitor.

Clean out the inside of the case thoroughly and ensure that all connections are secure (see canned text below)

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan.
Ensure that all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the PSU details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.
Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

Check the start up and shutdown settings in the Control Panel.

Run a diskcheck on the C: drive by right clicking on it, Properties > Tools > Check

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Here

Attached Thumbnails

• 123.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the screenshot, it is showing that you have replaced the add on video card - is that correct as I suggested in my previous reply to see what the voltages were without the card fitted (using the MBs video chip instead) this is to see if the voltages are the same when the PSU has not got the extra power demand placed on it by the video card.

Have you done the three other suggestions,

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
This is with the graphics replugged in, I was surprised to see the change too. Nothing new is fitted in nor anything removed from that screenshot. Only one ram is fitted

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Sorry I am not sure what you mean as I asked for you to run HWMonitor when the HD6870 had been removed to see if the low voltage reading was the same, can you do this for us please.

Also have you done the other 3 suggestions yet.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
what other 3 suggestions? I will give you a screenshot of the HWMonitor inabit, will do it now

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
From my reply #64

Clean out the inside of the case thoroughly and ensure that all connections are secure (see canned text below)

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan.
Ensure that all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the PSU details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.
Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

Check the start up and shutdown settings in the Control Panel.

Run a diskcheck on the C: drive by right clicking on it, Properties > Tools > Check

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
This is the HWMonitor without the graphics card installed and one RAM connected

Attached Thumbnails

• 11111.jpg

Advertisements

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I don't know how to clean the inside as I might damage something, and I don't know what you mean by canned compressed air :S

I will run a disk check when I restart the computer and leave it coz I will be going out

Edited by Vinceroman, 27 December 2012 - 12:04 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
It is still looking like a bad PSU as even without the video card fitted the +3.3V rail is reading low.

Leave the cleaning if you are not comfortable with it but do run the Disk Check and let us know the results.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Ive done the disk check, no real difference that I can see

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Were any errors reported by the disk check, that was what was being tested.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
When it restarted, that screen came up where if I press a button it would skip it. I didn't press any button so it would disk check, afterwards it restarted and booted up fine as normal