Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Restarts When I Shut Down + Other Problems (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Just read through the complete topic again and I do not think that I have missed anything!

We will have to wait and see if the malware experts find anything now, good luck and don`t forget to come back to this topic if you need to.

Advertisements

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I will do, I just wanna say thanks for the amount of effort and time that you have given to help me, I know that this will be sorted somehow =]

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Happy New Year!!

Good news, there was no malware found in my computer, the bad news is the the computer restarts after shutting down still exists and I don't know what would happen if I stick in the other RAM because I don't want the computer to not be able to work as I need to use my computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Happy new year to you also Vinceroman :thumbsup:

I see that good colleague Crowbar has given you the all clear of malware which is another positive step.

I note from the other topic that you are connected to TV screens, would it be at all possible for you to try connecting the computer to a single dedicated computer display/monitor and let us know if the computer still restarts.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Yes it still restarts, before I made this thread, I brought my computer to a friend to get reformatted because of the fuzzy screen. That problem was sorted but then that was when the restart when shut down occurred. This computer was plugged in on to his computer monitor but still restarted after we click shut down.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Can you run the Crucial System Scanner tool and provide a screenshot of the results for us please http://www.crucial.c...er/?click=truee

We are coming back to the last two options I mentioned previously, swapping in a known good PSU and doing a barebones set-up.

If the low voltage on the +3.3V rail is not responsible for this then a bad memory slot causing a short circuit is a possibility, you cannot check this without removing the MB which would allow a close visual inspection.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Here are the results

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled1.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the screenshot :thumbsup:

As you can see all 4 memory slots are picked up by the scan at least, this goes some way to pointing more towards the PSU at present but again is not conclusive as the computer will still not function with Ram in slot 1.

Bottom line is that you cannot rule either out until the PSU has been swapped or at least tested, this is easier to do if you can rather than removing the MB and doing a barebones set-up, possibly only to find that the MB is ok and the PSU is the cause.

Let us know what you decide.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Shall I bring the computer to Tesco to get checked up at their tech place inside. I cant find any other local technician shops

Got a technician shop that would test the PSU itself only and for £10 rather than Tesco doing a diagnostic test for £15 and leaving it at that.

The PSU has been tested and it came out fine. He mentioned that it can be related to hardware and that I should look for a 'qualified electrical technician' to find out where the currents are going in the computer.

Edited by Vinceroman, 04 January 2013 - 06:31 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Can I ask who did the PSU test for you and was the test done with the correct testing equipment or a multi meter.

Having a 'qualified electrical technician' test the system would incur a cost which is something that we have tried to avoid, one of the things that would be done is a barebones set-up and another is checking the computer case power on button and the associated connections from the switch to the MB, both of these checks are within the capability of many users with the correct guidance.

I have done some research on your Ram and found two things of note, the Ram has documented problems http://forum.corsair...ead.php?t=84947 and the Ram is not on the MBs QVL (see attachment below) the latter is not always a problem as there are too many products available for them to all be tested but when you have the option always choose Ram that is on a MBs QVL as it will guarantee compatibility.

Also worth mentioning is the voltage the Ram requires, if you look at the HWMonitor and Speccy etc results you will see Vin3, Vin4, Vin6, Vin7 and Vin8 readings, your Ram slots are included in these readings and as you can see there is significant difference in the volts that are going to the slots, your present 2GB stick should only be receiving 1.50V anything lower will prevent the computer from booting up and anything higher will eventually fry the Ram.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
So the problem could now occur from the RAM causing the restart to happen. All of the VIN3, VIN4, VIN6 etc are all above 1.5V for the 2GB RAM that is being used at the moment.

The person that done the test was Kindred Spirits. He tested the PSU with the correct equipment, I just got off the phone to him

Edited by Vinceroman, 05 January 2013 - 07:04 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Is this the same "No Fix" "No Fee" company http://www.yell.com/...SL13SG-4503555/

A stable PSU produces a constant +3.3V, +5V and +12V and the systems hardware draws from this what it needs, the +3.3V rail on your PSU which often provides the power for the memory slots is shown as being too low in two separate diagnostic programs which suggests that it is unstable.

A question if I may, was a known good PSU tried on the PC by the tech as this would have proven 100% whether the present PSU was the cause or not.

I am not saying your Ram is causing the restarts only that the voltage going to the memory slots is not shown to be good, if you refer back to the screenshot of the BIOS screen which showed the voltage going to the present single stick of Ram it was over the recommended 1.5V maximum.

Check the Device Manager to see if any devices have a yellow ! or red X against them.

Run the MBs diagnostic tools http://www.asus.com/...D_PRO/#download

See if any driver update are recommended, if one is suggested for the memory controller/chipset do that first http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/ choose the custom install option and uncheck the "install AVG toolbox" option.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Yes it is to answer you first question.. He was a nice old man that had the equipment at his own home, he was also surprised at how and why it is happening and has never come across it before.

Sorry for the late message, been busy this weekend. Another PSU was not tested, I simply just asked to test my current PSU and he said the readings from his machine showed that it was fine.

This is my current Device Manager that is attached with the reply.

Which one do I also choose on the ASUS website? Theres 'BIOS','BIOS-Utilities' and more subheadings after that.

The last message you put down, do I do that after I run the MBs diagnostic tool?

Attached Thumbnails

• 00.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
No worries we all have other things going on.

Device Manager looks ok.

The diagnostic tool is nothing to do with the BIOS, select your operating system, Utilities tab and then Version 1.12 out of the two diagnostic tools options.

Run DriverMax any time.