Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Restarts When I Shut Down + Other Problems (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
:thumbsup:

Advertisements

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Sorry I haven't been replying on this, I've tried to clean my pc using a compressed air can and a little bit of help from my parents where they cleaned the fan and some other bits inside. The only thing left was the bare bones set up which I was relying on my friend if he would help me but he's been busy with other things and has not been telling me about it and I'm getting a bit fussed because I don't know why he couldn't just reply and say. Anyway, the bare bones set-up. I'm gonna try and do it by myself with a bit of help from my dad maybe. What are the things will I need to do/consider?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Above all put your safety and that of others before anything else, next refer to my canned text below;

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, HDD, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
As my computer has watercooling on the processor that is then connected to a fan, what do I do with that?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Where does the CPU cooling fan receive it`s power from.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I'll take pictures of the inside of my case, and hopefully you could tell me where I would need to start to do the bare bones setup. I got a cardboard which is bigger than the motherboard that you said. Thats about it so far, pictures inabit

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 09-02-2013 14 14 34.jpg
  • Photo 09-02-2013 14 14 48.jpg
  • Photo 09-02-2013 14 15 01.jpg
  • Photo 09-02-2013 14 15 29.jpg
  • Photo 09-02-2013 14 15 33.jpg

Edited by Vinceroman, 09 February 2013 - 08:27 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Liquid cooling is one area that I have not much knowledge on so I will ask a colleague or two to advise on the cooling arrangements, the barebones principal is the same but you may need to attach the cooling fan to the outside rear of the case to ensure a clean and constant airflow to the CPU.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
The back and the top view of the case.. Note that the fan with the cooling does not have enough space for the entire fan.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 09-02-2013 15 20 07.jpg
  • Photo 09-02-2013 15 20 23.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Sorry for the delay I have just read through the whole topic again.

You will need a second pair of hands to help you then by holding the cooling fan upright so that the blades turn freely and draw in fresh air to the cooler.

If at anytime you are unsure on something let us know before proceeding.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Yes, im quite unsure at the moment.. everything will be taken out of the case one by one. What steps shall I take like which one do I take out first and what screws I would need to take out?

The corsair water cooling is connected to the motherboard which is for the processor if I'm right? Are you saying when the motherboard is taken out, the processor is still kept there and I don't remove the black cylinder with the 'corsair' sign off the motherboard (unscrew)?

If that's the case, the motherboard is on a cardboard with the corsair water cooling still connected and the fan along with it too?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Yes, im quite unsure at the moment.. everything will be taken out of the case one by one. What steps shall I take like which one do I take out first and what screws I would need to take out?
Remove the add on video card first, make a note of where the cables from the PSU connect to such as the MB, HDD, optical drive etc, do the same with the wires that connect the case front power button, HDD activity LED and reset button to the MB

Remove the PSU and the HDD from the case.

Remove the cooling fan that is attached to the rear of the case but leave the other end connected to the cooler.

You should then be able to see the mounting screws that secure the MB to the case, remove these screws.

The corsair water cooling is connected to the motherboard which is for the processor if I'm right? Are you saying when the motherboard is taken out, the processor is still kept there and I don't remove the black cylinder with the 'corsair' sign off the motherboard (unscrew)?
As above please do not remove this.

If that's the case, the motherboard is on a cardboard with the corsair water cooling still connected and the fan along with it too?
Yes that is correct.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Few more final questions then I think I should be alright to start doing bare bones setup. How will I turn the motherboard on if it is out of the case?

When the motherboard is unscrewed from the case, I put it on a cardboard?

The cooler that is attached on the motherboard and a fan on the other end must be held by another person after it has been removed from the rear of the case right?

So at the moment, when everything is out of the case and onto the cardboard, I have the motherboard + cooler as well as the PSU and RAM, then I try to start up the computer?

After this I will attach the graphics card/hard drive/disc player one by one to see if it would stil restart?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
[quote]Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, HDD, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component.[/
quote]

On the MB you have a header where the case power button (pwr sw) HDD activity LED and reset button connect, you need to short out the + and the ground for the pwr sw and this will activate the PSU, see the example attachment below;

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
In the diagram, when you mean 'short out these two pins' is this where I would use a paper clip that I would bend into a U-shape and have one end on PWR and other on GROUND?

Do the end of the paper clip just slide inside (is there a hole or something?)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
I have highlighted the two pins in the picture, all you need to do is touch the two pins with the paper clip at the same time to activate the PSU.