Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Help

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Diedre

Please see the attached screenshot which shows the Minimum recommended output for a PSU in your computer;

NB: You can verify this yourself @ http://images10.newe...tage-Calculator and please note the information in the bottom left hand corner.

Advertisements

Diedre

Diedre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello Phillpower2,

I have been looking all over the internet and I'm having a hard time trying to find a PSU that is a good brand and has good ratings from buyers, with the amount of wattage I'm looking for that will also fit my machine. I haven't taken my PSU out yet, and don't really want to do that until I'm ready for the swap. But I'll take it out if necessary to avoid buying a PSU that is too long. I have measured the outside which is a little less than 4 inches tall and 7 inches wide. Don't know how long it is yet. What is the range of wattage I should stay within? Can I get a PSU that is 300w? I found a Seasonic that was 300w but it didn't fit.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Having more power available than what your system needs does no harm as the hardware only draws what it needs, if you compare the costs of the lower output PSUs to those that are more powerful you will see that it makes sense to purchase the more powerful PSU as they often cost less http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

Couple of tips for you, watch out for any product that has Green in it`s name as they are not shipped with a power cord, choose a PSU that has a minimum 80% output rating (the bronze version is better) and check for any shipping costs as many are free but some PSUs may appear inexpensive until you add any shipping costs to the price.

NB: I am not sure what/how it is that you are measuring.