Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Acer booting up problems

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

This is the first time I have posted anything on here. So I may have got the wrong section...I apologise in advance.

I have an Acer TravelMate 5730 that runs on a Windows Vista operating system. When starting the laptop it will go through the normal processes of the windows flag load-up screen, but when it should go to the user log-in blue screen it doesn't. The computer screen remains black and all you have is your mouse, which you can still move around.

The only way to turn the computer off is by a force shut down by holding the off button. I have also tried letting the black screen run to see if it is just being really slow, and running it on safe made but it doesn't change.

Is there anything I can do in order to get my laptop back before putting it in to get looked at, as it has sentimental photographs on it that I was stupid enough not to get a back-up of?

Edited by Asphyxiation, 09 December 2012 - 04:24 PM.

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
That sounds like an OS problem, which would involve reinstalling it via disk or recovery partition. That method would in fact erase all of that data though. However, you can still save the data if you so desire through an external usb and putting it on another computer.

Here's a video:

Here's one for only 20 dollars:

After performing that, I'd recommend reinstalling/recovering the partition and seeing if that helps, and that way there's no chance of losing data.