You're welcome PHutch!
I performed the check disk. Upon completion, no errors found.
That's good news! Hard shutdowns can cause to the HD and corrupt files.
Download TFC by Old Timer from here
- First, save any files as TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
- Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista/Windows 7 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
- Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
- Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete cleaning.
TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).
Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.
Then do a defrag.
EDIT: Added SFC.
Let's perform a system file check:
Open an elevated command prompt
. To do this:
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories and right-click on Command Prompt > Run as administrator
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
Let me know if this fixes the issues you are experiencing.
Edited by DonnaB, 10 December 2012 - 01:25 PM.