Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Side by Side Configuration Incorrect

• Please log in to reply

PHutch

PHutch

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I have been getting the following error message when attempting to open files / pictures that I have saved from programs.
"The application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail".

When I try to type the command prompt in, I get a flash of the dos screen -- it goes away as quickly as it appears.

I have been having difficulties with my computer ever since it was inadvertently left unplugged and the battery ran completely down. At one point after charging my computer back up, a few days later, my computer was running very very slow -- the computer would take at least 5 minutes to load a program (lightroom or photoshop, word, anything).

I tried a reboot with safe recovery mode. I messed something up in doing that. Ever since then, the memory on my hard drive is less than what it had been (it's at 1/2 of the memory available, before that, I was using about 1/4 of the available memory). I have not installed half of what I had installed prior to the problems starting.

I run
Dell Inspiron N5110
Intel Core i5-2430M [email protected] Ghz
4 GB RAM
64 bit
Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1

Thanks for your assistance.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi PHutch,

Ouch! Hard shut. Not good. See if you can perform the following task:

• Click on Start then click on My Computer
  • Right click on the C: drive, scroll down and click on Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Click on the Check Now... button
  • In the dialog box that opens, place a checkmark in the 2 boxes and click on Start
  • The next dialog box will now show a similar message as below:
    • Windows can't check the disk while it's in use.
      Do you want to check for hard disk errors the next time you
      start your computer ? <Schedule disk check/Cancel>
    • Click on Schedule disk check and reboot the computer if it does not reboot on it's own.
  • Checkdisk will start once the computer reboots. It can take up to an hour or more to complete as it goes through the stages. Allow it to run uninterrupted till complete.

To find the log that is produced, please do the following:

• Reboot the computer.
  • Click on Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer
  • Next, click on the little arrow to the left of Windows Logs then find and click on Applications.
  • Once the Event Viewer opens, in the middle pane search for Log Summary and click on Application.
  • Scroll down to find the Wininit entry under Source column for the date and time the scan was performed.
  • Double click on the Wininit entry and a window will open.
  • Click on the Copy button in the lower left to copy to clipboard then paste to your next reply.

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks Donna B;
I performed the check disk. Upon completion, no errors found.
I tried to find the log as you have asked -- I am able to bring up the the windows logs, applications.
I have searched through the middle screen as asked (thus the timely post).

Unless I have totally overlooked, I did not find the Log Summary.
I am able to see Logging/Recovery on numerous apps.

Again, I am running windows 7 home premium.
Thank you for your time.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You're welcome PHutch! :happy:

I performed the check disk. Upon completion, no errors found.

That's good news! Hard shutdowns can cause to the HD and corrupt files.

Download TFC by Old Timer from here:
  • First, save any files as TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista/Windows 7 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete cleaning.
More info:
TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.

Then do a defrag.

EDIT: Added SFC.

Let's perform a system file check:

Open an elevated command prompt. To do this:

• Click Start > All Programs > Accessories and right-click on Command Prompt > Run as administrator
  • If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  • At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow

Let me know if this fixes the issues you are experiencing.

Edited by DonnaB, 10 December 2012 - 01:25 PM.

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I have done all of the above.
System File Check = No integrity violations.
Defragment went fine.
TFC ran fine.

Yes, I am still having the problem.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Boot to the Advanced Boot Options menu by pressing F8 once you see the Dell logo splash screen. Choose Last Known Good Configuration from the list of options.

Do you have recovery discs for this computer if it is needed? Also, is all your personal data backed up and in a safe place? Just a precautionary measure.

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I made recovery discs upon receipt of the computer. It made 4 discs.
I have been backing up my personal data since the problem started.
But will do it again before I start that procedure.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
That's great! I wished everyone would be as responsible. :thumbsup:

I found a link that might help. Please see below:

Side by Side Configuration Incorrect

You have some major corruption there and I'm not sure how to approach to find the corruption other than reinstall. I have sent out a PM to one of the other experts here if you'd like to wait before reinstalling.

If you choose to reinstall, let me know.

Donna

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi PHutch,

I have received a reply to my PM from one of our experts members. What version of Microsoft Visual C++ is installed? An update may do the trick. Please let me know so I can investigate further.

Donna

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
PHutch?

Where are you at with this? In post #1 you stated your computer is 64-bit. Correct? I feel this corruption can be repaired, so grasping at straws (and not willing to give in to a reinstall) I sent a link to your thread to my good friend niemiro to have a look since he is highly experienced with Microsoft apps and their development. His suggestion was to install the following. Please do so in the order in which I have them posted. It isn't so much about which version you currently have, more than you are missing the one you need:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)

Let us know if this corrects the issue. If not, I have more instructions........ :ph34r:

Advertisements

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks Donna;
I performed the last known good configuration. That still didn't work.
I really am not up to a reinstall -- unless I can be sure that the memory on my hard drive can reset back to less that what is being used now. My next endeavor is to figure out why I now have only half the memory since this started.

I was reading on the Visual C++ link you provided... then noticed your last post.
I am now off to install those links you provided.

Yes, I am running windows 7, home premium. (I am not using vista). Yes, 64 bit.

Will let you know.
Thanks
Paula

Edited by PHutch, 11 December 2012 - 09:48 PM.

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi Donna;
I have downloaded and installed the links you provided. I downloaded all, then rebooted computer.

I have tried to open files on my desktop that are approximately 1 month and within the last week. I am still getting the same error message.

I happened to notice during f8 boot option (last known good configuration), "repair computer" - ??? I almost did that option before I read your posts. I did not do that. I didn't want to stray from directions and posts.
Your thoughts?

Thanks
Paula

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hm...Ok. Let's try this:

Open up an elevated command prompt by right clicking on the command prompt and choosing Run as Administrator. Next either type, or copy and paste the following command into the command prompt. A folder should appear on your desktop that is titled System. Right click on that folder and send to Compressed (zipped) folder and attach to your next reply.

wevtutil export-log System %UserProfile%\Desktop\System.evtx

How to attach a file:

• Below Fast Reply box click on Use Full Editor button.
  • Scroll down and click on Browse button.
  • Click on Desktop found in left pane.
  • Scroll to find the file saved to Desktop and click on it.
  • Click the Open button.
  • Click the Attach This File button.
  • Click Add Reply button once you have completed your post and are ready to submit.

We'll have a look at the entries in the Event Viewer and let you know our next set of instructions.

Edited by DonnaB, 12 December 2012 - 07:39 PM.

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi Donna;
Thanks for being so diligent with my problem.
I am getting an error code that the file was too big to upload. Yes, it is in zipped file.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You're welcome Paula. Do you have a Dropbox acct? Please see here. Create an acct. and provide the link.

Once you accomplish the above:

I haven't overlooked the memory issue, Win7 has a built a built-in memory diagnostic tool, though may need a CD to create a memtest86 disc for a second opinion. Do you have one lying around?

Go to Start and type in:

mdsched.exe

Follow the on screen instructions.

If you choose the second option, the scan will start the next time you boot the computer. If you choose the first option, the computer will reboot and start the scan immediately.

During the scan, you will see options to change the type of scan and how many times to scan. You should leave it alone unless you really suspect something wrong with your RAM and the normal scan does not find it.

Once the scan finishes, Windows will start, and within moments a bubble notification will appear, stating that the scan is finished. Click on this bubble to view the scan report.

While you are busy performing the above tasks I'll prepare better instructions for the memtest86 just in case it will be needed.

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 13 December 2012 - 06:43 AM.