Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No idea what is wrong!

• Please log in to reply

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
:tazz: Newer Dell 4400 (2-3 yrs. old); am doing everything to keep it clean: regularly run: clean-up; ad-aware se; spybot s&d; cwshredder (altho everytime it runs I have to run chkdsk because my system says i have problems on the disk but with chkdsk everything comes out ok); norton anti-virus; microsoft giant beta version of anti-virus. Keeping all updates current.

System is slower than molasses in January! Literally! What am I doing wrong? Why does it take 2 to 3 minutes to log on a user? Why does it take up to a minute to open a program?

Any help for me?

Thank you in advance for helping!!!!!

Advertisements

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
What operating system are you using and can I have your PC's information e.g. ram and processor

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hello!

Windows XP - service paks 1 & 2 installed

processor - ACPI Uniprocessor PC; intel pentium 4 CPU 2.00 Ghz

ram - 256 (i think, am not sure how to find this out; should I add more? if so, what do I buy, where & how do I install it?)

is this enough info?

Thanks again for your time & help! :tazz:

timetowaste

timetowaste

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Try running Disk Defragmenter. This should help. You might also want to try some type of registry repair or optimizer program too.

F.Y.I
Start
Accessories
System Tools
Disk Defragmenter

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
This program can help you find out how much ram you have
http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Must people think that 512mb is the min you should really run xp on. It does make a difference i've just gone from 256mb to 512mb and there is a good spped boast.