Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New to PC building

• Please log in to reply

Purring

Purring

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So i'm looking to buy a PC for gaming, mainly MMOs. I won't be playing skyrim/BF3 on maxed settings so I don't need the best. What i'm looking for is a decent PC that will last me for awhile and play todays MMOs on good settings and good FPS. It would be nice if it were compatible with upgrades as i'd rather not buy a whole new PC in a few years. Budget will be about 500. I already have a moniter. What i'm currently looking at is:

8GB DDR3 RAM
500 GB of memory
AMD FX 4100 CPU quad core 3.6ghz (comments?)
AMD Radeon 7750 1 GB graphics card (comments?)
I have zero idea what a good cooling/power system should be used.
Case doesn't matter, im looking for functionality not looks.
No clue whatsoever on motherboards.
not buying an OS, already have Windows ultimate

I'd also like it to be from a place that will send it fully constructed, as i've never even attempted to put one together or anything of the sort.Also a little insight on cooling systems and power would be nice, a link will do if you don't feel like explaining. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Purring, 10 December 2012 - 10:53 PM.

Advertisements

howtheflip

howtheflip

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

So i'm looking to buy a PC for gaming, mainly MMOs. I won't be playing skyrim/BF3 on maxed settings so I don't need the best. What i'm looking for is a decent PC that will last me for awhile and play todays MMOs on good settings and good FPS. It would be nice if it were compatible with upgrades as i'd rather not buy a whole new PC in a few years. Budget will be about 500. I already have a moniter. What i'm currently looking at is:

8GB DDR3 RAM
You probably do not need more than 4gb, so unless you can find a really good deal, try to save yourself some money here.
500 GB of memory
I recommend a western digital caviar black for speed
AMD FX 4100 CPU quad core 3.6ghz (comments?)
Great budget cpu because of it's APU features
AMD Radeon 7750 1 GB graphics card (comments?)
I'm not sure if this gpu allows crossfiring, but believe it is. I believe the best the amd fx 4100 supports is the radeon 7770
I have zero idea what a good cooling/power system should be used.
You probably will not need a cooling system besides the stock one. As for power, 450-500 watts should be fine for this system, cooler master seems to be a reliable brand
This seems to be all preference then

EDIT: This processor is only supported by AM3+ motherboards, so make sure to buy one of those. You may be able to find a bundle to make things easier and it might also be cheaper. Here is an example:

http://www.outletpc....CFYqZ4AodqWoAAg

Note that this motherboard only supports 1333 mhz RAM, so do not purchase higher speed ram if you decide to go with this one. You can look for a motherboard that supports 1600mhz if you want, but the speed is not that noticeable (1-3% in real world applications probably) Note that you can still purchase 1600mhz RAM though if you intend on using it in the future, the motherboard will just downclock it.

Here are some motherboards that supports higher RAM speeds at a fairly decent price:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157280
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130657

You may want to make sure those crossfire correctly as well before purchasing them as some do not. Here is a board that crossfires and has reported decent overclocking abilities if you plan on overclocking

http://www.newegg.co...D=11gxqavtwfr23

not buying an OS, already have Windows ultimate

I'd also like it to be from a place that will send it fully constructed, as i've never even attempted to put one together or anything of the sort.Also a little insight on cooling systems and power would be nice, a link will do if you don't feel like explaining. Thanks in advance.

I apologize for all of the information I just posted. When i first read the post, I thought you were planning on building your own machine. I didn't want to delete all of the specifics I posted though in case they could help someone else in the future as well. I will try to find a rig that matches what I have said and is withing your budget and send it to you to see how you feel about it.

Overall, I've looked at APU crossfired and have seen results at about 50fps at medium settings for games such as skyrim. Personally, I can play on a game with at least 30 fps, so I'm sure you can even up the graphics a bit and still get smooth gameplay, but that is mainly just preference. Note that some people have experienced difficulty with crossfiring in some games (microstuddering) because of instability.

These types of computers, however, have been designed to be mid level computers, and so the upgrades are highly limited and may actually defeat their low price tags if you keep swapping out parts. All of these upgrades fall off quickly compared to an intel based design, which can overclock and has many more high end parts to choose from. The major downside to intel however is how much more it will cost you to design a rig. For the average user however, this design should be able to perform all of the tasks that you desire with ease and at a much cheaper price. Overall, if you want a good computer now at a good price, go with AMD, but if you want a great computer at a much higher price down the road, then go Intel.

Overall, the only major upgrades I can see for the future with this build is upgrading to the new AMD fx 8350, upgrading the ram to more and faster speeds, and upgrading the graphics card to a radeon 7970 to match the cpu upgrade. These upgrades alone would cost so much that I would probably just switch to an i5 or i7 series computer so that it is less likely to bottleneck in the end, and you can upgrade your computer even further in the future when you have the money.

You can easily locate a machine with and AMD fx 4100 through ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/...o=350&_udhi=550

Find the one you like and keep it in budget with the graphics card being purchased separately. Like I said though, double check the psu if you plan on overclocking, how fast the ram is if you want faster ram, and the motherboard's ability to crossfire if you plan on buying another graphics card. Many of the sellers on ebay allow customizing of the product at the bottom of the page, so you can make sure to choose a reliable power supply, a good motherboard, and the desired RAM if it is not initially offered.

Here is one with a similar HDD but bigger cuz they didn't offer the smaller verson, Graphics Card, and Power supply I described with a motherboard that can handle higher RAM and is crossfire capable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370711335427 (It goes a little over your budget)

If you really need the price to go down a little and can sacrifice the HDD speed, here is one that is closer to your budget:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400362532741

Note that both of these come with the stock 400w power supply, which would have to be changed if you planned on upgrading any further via new parts later or overclocking.

Also note that if you had the capability and drive, you could probably build this computer yourself and shave off about 100 dollars, considering it's always cheaper to buy parts yourself and you can search for used/refurbished parts.

Edited by howtheflip, 11 December 2012 - 10:47 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,035 posts
:welcome: Purring

You will get a better rig if you purchase the components yourself and then ask a local tech to do the build for you if you don not want to build it yourself, a list of parts http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rZs8

Your list of parts and some pointers for you regarding some of them;

8GB DDR3 RAM = Only beneficial to have 8GB of Ram with a 64-bit OS, what version of Ultimate do you have.
500 GB of memory = Purchasing a 1TB is more cost effective than a 500GB storage capacity (not memory - that is your Ram).
AMD FX 4100 CPU quad core 3.6ghz (comments?) Good CPU for the price that it costs.
AMD Radeon 7750 1 GB graphics card (comments?) It will do what you require but a 256-bit format card has better video quality.
I have zero idea what a good cooling/power system should be used. Both taken care of in the list of parts I have suggested.
not buying an OS, already have Windows ultimate = What type of disk is it, is it a full retail disk with a product key that is not in use on another computer.