Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to start windows

• Please log in to reply

farradam

farradam

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, following an automatic update my windows 7 will no longer boot up on my laptop. It never gets past the starting windows screen. I have tried the repair windows and safe mode options from F8 and these will not work either. I do not have the windows desk to repair from there. Not great on computers so not sure what to try now - any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
From F8 safe mode options, select Last known configuration that worked. See if that helps.

If not, you need to do a System Restore to before the update occurred. Since you do not have a Windows 7 installation DVD, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here: Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Digital River.
Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

See here for info on using the DVD to do a System Restore: Recovery Console and System Restore from Windows 7/Vista boot DVD (you have to scroll down a bit to find that section).

farradam

farradam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the post. Last known configuration did not get past the starting screen - ill try and download your link and from a friends computer tomorrow.
Thanks