Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router got struck by lightning and now desktop wont function properly

• Please log in to reply

dorieaj

dorieaj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My son's computer was connected to our router. The router got struck by lightning (killed the router) and it messed up the desktop that was connected to it. The computer is a HP. When you turn on the computer, it doesn't seem to start up correctly. The wallpaper shows but not any of the desktop icons. I don't know if this makes any sense but when you click on the Start button, and click on anything, it disappears to the left of the screen. I can move my mouse (pointer) to the left and sometimes I am able to "grab" some random icon. I have tried to restore it to a previous date but that doesn't seem to help. I don't have the recovery CD. Is there any way to restore it to factory setting but not lose Microsoft Office to maybe correct the current problem? Also, I have previously upgraded the video card and the power supply. Also, it has been updated to Windows 7. I don't care about ITunes, WOW, pictures or anything else he might have on here. Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try booting to Safe Mode with Networking. If everything shows then, though much larger than normal because you are running at a much lower screen resolution, do this:

Uninstall the video device from Device Manager:

Press Windows key (next to left Ctrl key) + R, type devmgmt.msc in the Run box and press Enter.
Expand Display Adapter.
Right click on it and select Uninstall.
Click Apply and OK as needed to close all windows then reboot.

Windows will rediscover the video card and reload the device driver. That often fixes problems like this.

It's also possible you have hardware damage and may not be able to fix it with software.
Is the video on-board (integrated into the mother board) or an add-on PCI-E/AGP card?

dorieaj

dorieaj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Before I try that, does it matter if I don't know if the video is on board or not? If I need that info before I start, how do I find out? I am totally computer illiterate! I appreciate your help though!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If the display cable is plugged in here it's on-board (built into the mother board):

BackOfComp1.jpg

If it connects here it's an add-on card.

BackOfComp2.jpg