Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast slows computer

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK for some reason stuff that is suppose to be out of autoruns is returning back activated again. For now I would like to do the following.

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "BigFix.lnk"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

Advertisements

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I did all suggested.

I was a little confused about the Big Fix. After I attached the autoruns file the first time, did I miss a reply about what to uncheck? Is everything else in there okay? Thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you opened autoruns again and then clicked the log on tab you should see the big fix entry. The big fix actually had no file found in its entry which means it could not run.

Post 18 was the second part of the autoruns instructions after I had gone through them for you. If you disable Avast by turning off all the real time scanners does the system then run properly?
If so you may want to follow Ztruckers post 5 and uninstall it completely and install MSE Microsoft Security Essentials. This would verify the issue is Avast then and MSE is just as good but even smaller of a load on system resources which would help the system speed.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thanks so much. Things seem to be working better, so I will see how the day goes. Thank you again for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you uninstall Avast or just disable everything with it?

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I disabled the web shield and P2P, but it still seems to be doing it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I think it's time to uninstall Avast and try MSE :whistling:

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
MSE needs SP3, which I have never been able to install. When I do I can't stay connected to the internet. I uninstalled Avast and did the SP3 IT version. It went through and I restarted my computer. Then I tried MSE and it says could not install need filter manager roll up package. I looked at my system and it says SP2 is still there even though I spent 30 minutes installing SP3.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and get Avira Free on the left side where it says download.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 21 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Advertisements