Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice: HP Envy x2

• Please log in to reply

mclimbin

mclimbin

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hey all, I am looking for some advice and opinions. I'm thinking of buying the HP Envy x2, and am wondering if anyone has heard anything about it, or if you have any suggestions of other, similar tablet/laptops that I could look at.

Here are the stats for the Envy x2
http://www8.hp.com/u...y-x2/specs.html

Operating System Windows 8
Secondary OS No
Processor Atom Z2760 Dual-core 1.8 GHz
Internal Memory 64 GB
RAM 2 GB
Manufacturer Warranty 1 Year
Accessories Included AC Charger, Manual, Standard Battery
(From: http://www.cellphone...-envy-x2/specs/)

Here is what I want in the convertible:

A laptop-type thing that I can do work on (so it has a comfortable, full sized keyboard),
  • that has an HDMI port, so I can connect it to the TV once in a while,
  • that is very light weight,
  • that has that separable a tablet for pdf reading and general tablet fun (browsing, casual games, etc),
  • that has Windows 8, so I can use MS Office
  • that has great battery life

It doesn't have to be too powerful--I won't be doing anything more cpu intensive than basic photo editing. I will only be doing casual gaming on the x2--I have a Core i7 desktop (which I built with the help of the good people on this website) that I can play games on. I would prefer to have a CPU that is powerful enough for what I need, but also allows long battery life.

I have seen the Yoga, the Dell spinning thing, and various manufacturers' twist and cover models. I really only like the detachable tablet form factor, so that I don't have to deal with the weight of the keyboard or keys on the other side of the keyboard when I'm using the tablet.

I have seen the Surface, but I like the style of the x2 better. I have seen the Samsung Ativ, but I like the metal cover of the x2. I also like the fact that it has two batteries (unlike the Ativ). Seems like battery life will be up to 14-16 hours for the x2, 8-9 for just the tablet.

Some things I don't like about the x2:
There is no ethernet port (can use usb)
There is no usb 3 (from what I understand, the Atom does not allow it)
The processor seems underpowered.

So, my questions are:
  • Do you think the Atom is powerful enough to do what I need it to do?
  • How about memory?
  • Release date was the middle of this month, but if I buy one online through HP, I won't get it until the middle of January. I think this is because of a shortage of touch screens in this moment, but could the date being pushed back be related to problems at HP?
  • I'm a little nervous about buying it online without ever even seeing it or touching it in person before. I went to the local (60 min away) Microsoft store and checked out the Surface and the Samsung Ativ, the latter of which seems to be the same form factor as the x2, and I liked the size of that. The weight was awesome, so light.

What do you think? Any advice?
Thanks!

Advertisements