Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with config (and analyzing) minidump file

• Please log in to reply

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Hi all, my windows 7 is not providing the minidump file after a BSOD. I followed these directions (http://blog.nirsoft....-files-on-bsod/), but my sys. still will not provide this file after a BSOD.

I have also confirmed that my folder/sys. file view settings are appropriate so I should see it *if* it's been created. . . .

That link above has another method of config. creation of minidump files--but it's a reg. edit, which I would appreciate if someone here could verify is safe? (W/ my level of knowledge I get uncomfortable when it gets into this realm.) I quoted it below:

"You can also make this MiniDump change in the Registry, by setting the following value:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl]
"CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000003

However, be aware that this Registry change affects the system only after reboot."

I have a very clean & scanned sys. w/ a brand-spanking new HD, so I truly doubt this is a virus/malware. And I have run sys. utility checks on the HD w/ nothing but successful passes. BUT one thing that's odd is the BSOD appears garbled each time, which I've never seen before w/ other systems. . . .

Anyway, thank you in advance for any help. I first want to just get a minidump file so that I can ask someone here to help analyze it. Thanks!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The easiest way forward I think is to send me please a screenshot of the window for the settings for your dump
so that is
Control Panel
system
advanced system settings on left pane
on the third section down startup and recovery click settings button
then with that window on the desktop
press prt scrn key once
open paint and click on paste
then using the selection drag mouse across to seelct only that section
and then click copy
then click file and new
do not save original
now click paste and the selection of just that window will appear
now click file and save as and change file type to jpeg
then on reply go advanced and attach the saved image

DO the same please to confirm size of paging file
which is back to the original advanced system settings
this time click the settings button on performance and then the advanced tab
then click the change button on the virtual memory section
to show me the setup for the paging file
so please send that screenshot as well

Finally for this post please go computer
open C drive, presuming that is Windows
open Windows
do you have minidump folder
if so open it - is there any content please

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Thanks so much for the speedy reply! I've attached both images below. . . . No, there was not any minidump folder there (and I have both the hidden and sys. folder/file view properties set correctly, so it should display), and that is why I also tried setting the minidump folder to a different location--as you'll notice in that attached image--but nothing gets created there either when there's a BSOD. Thank you.

Toshiba NB505
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Atom CPU N455 @ 1.66 GHz
RAM 2.00 GB
32 bit OS

pg file setup.jpg
s and r settings.jpg

Edited by moscatomg1, 11 December 2012 - 11:50 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go back to your first screenshot
uncheck the box automatically manage paging file for all drives
click OK and exit as necessary
restart and go back to that window
the options custom size and system managed size will now NOT be greyed out
now click once to select C drive in the window of that box and then click to check the system managed size
NOW click the SET BUTTON ONCE
then click OK and apply and Ok restarting as shown

Now go start right click computer click properties and click system protection on left pane
Create a restore point you may name it whatever you wish
It should report created

At that stage please post back with details of the computer - is it a desktop, laptop
make and full model if branded
and if a desktop is it a ps2 or usb keyboard please

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 December 2012 - 01:45 PM.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
OK. I followed all of the instructions. My sys. info is below:

Toshiba NB505 (laptop/netbook)
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Atom CPU N455 @ 1.66 GHz
RAM 2.00 GB
32 bit OS

Also, I ran a full windows error checking one more time w/ both check disk options selected (automatically fix file sys. errors AND scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors). Apart from some "reparse records processed," it did not find anything wrong. . . . Again, I don't know if it's significant that these BSODs are garbled--and only display briefly. . . . Anyway, now that this seems to be configured correctly w/ your help, hopefully the minidump files will be created next time there is BSOD.

Going by how it has been acting up randomly, the BSOD will probably show up again w/in the week. Can I post that here for you to look at? If so, do you have any instructions for me for posting a minidump file?

Thank you again!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks

now please go control panel
admin tools
event viewer
double click that to open please
on left pane expand windows logs
click system
wait for that to load in centre window and then click once please on the column heading LEVEL
wait please for that to sort - you will see the word sorting at the top of the window
if you look now at the top or the bottom using the scroll on the right you will see ERROR you may click level once more to place them at the top or bottom if you wish
please explore these using the time and date marker to find the one that relates to the crash, see if it helps

You may also check back on the left pane the selection - application

If you refer back to your screenshot you will see WRITE event to system log.
that is what we are looking fior

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 December 2012 - 07:16 PM.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Great. Ok, this is what I could find in the event viewer:

-Going by an event log message: "The previous system shutdown at 8:08:50 PM on ‎12/‎10/‎2012 was unexpected." (This is when the latest BSOD occurred.)

-But the only "Error" log item closest before this time is nearly 20 min. prior. . . . This error (which I see occurs elsewhere fairly frequently) is as follows:

"The description for Event ID 0 from source RTL8192Ce cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
OID_SCAN_NUM
the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table"

-The very closest log item to right before (2 min. prior) the crash and BSOD is actually "information" level:
"The Multimedia Class Scheduler service entered the stopped state."

Other than I think "RTL8192Ce" is something by Realtek (my wifi?), I am not sure what to make of this. . . . BUT I just found this link (http://forums.toshib...ROR/td-p/176946) that details the "RTL8192Ce" error as related to a bad/incorrectly listed realtek wifi driver. Although there's no mention of BSOD problems w/ this, I feel I should obviously still try this to see if it solves my BSOD problem. I'll let you know later in the week if BSOD continues or not.

Thank you!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go here
http://www.csd.toshi...rt/jsp/home.jsp
click download select laptop, then mini notebook, then as below

select the correct model version of the NB505 there are many
ensure the OS is set windows 7 32 bit
find the Realtek wireless driver
download and install following instructions

Easiest way is to SAVE download
go device manager
right click the wireless adaptor - click update driver
OR open the wirless adaptor click the driver tab and then click update driver
DO NOT choose let windows install etc
choose I will
and then point to where you have saved etc and run.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 December 2012 - 12:25 PM.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well those multiple RTL8192Ce errors in the event viewer stopped occurring after I downloaded & installed the correct wifi driver. . . . BUT I just got another BSOD. And unfortunately, despite our best efforts here, still no minidump file(s) created afterwards. . . . But I do have two log items in the event viewer just prior to the BSOD:

1. An "Info." level log item: The system time has changed to ‎2012‎-‎12‎-‎17T03:50:12.500000000Z from ‎2012‎-‎12‎-‎16T18:36:08.474517900Z. (Source: Kernel-General)

2. An "Error" level log item: A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the ShellHWDetection service. (Source: Service Control Manager)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Synchronizing with an Internet time server
  • You can synchronize your computer clock with an Internet time server. This means that the clock on your computer is updated to match the clock on the time server, which can help ensure that the clock on your computer is accurate. Your clock is typically updated once a week and needs to be connected to the Internet for the synchronization to occur.

Click to open Date and Time.

Click the Internet Time tab, and then click Change settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • Select the check box next to Synchronize with an Internet time server, select a time server, and then click OK.
As well as that and especially if the above indicates time cannot be synchronized, go Control Panel admin tools services, scroll to windows time, check start type is manual and if service is stopped see if it will start.
If it is not manual set it as such and then start

Also next time you have shut down, when you boot check that the time and date on the taskbar bottom right of the desktop are correct

ALSO PLEASE NOTE
I usually unsubscribe from a topic after FIVE days without reply.
I work on another site and have too many on the go to keep them all subscribed
Once I unsubscribe I no longer receive notifications of your post
You just managed to reply in time from the 12 December

Therefore would you kindly indicate if you expect to be longer than the five days, in which case of course I will remain subscribed

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 December 2012 - 06:41 PM.

Advertisements

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
So it's plausible that the time synch. was the cause of the last BSOD? That seems pretty strange. . . .

But I followed all of these instructions. The Windows Time service was stopped when I went to it, but I started it again w/ your directions.

And as for my delay, yes, please stay subscribed for longer than 5 days. As w/ last time, I do not know exactly how/when/if the next BSOD may appear. But the way the sys. has been, I would not be surprised if there is now another one in the next week or so.

So if you stay subscribed for a slightly longer time period, then I can send the next known errors/items in the event viewer--when/if another BSOD appears.

Thank you so much again for your patience and continued help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
NO problem I will stay with you.
The only reason I do that is that you just would not believe the number of people who just leave their topic without even telling you.

Did you synchronize the time

and please check after you have shut down for the night if when booting time is correct on the notification area of the taskbar bottom right

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Thank you!

Yes, time is synced. And when rebooting it is still correct.

I guess we'll just wait a little bit to see if something else sets off another BSOD.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
In reference to the apparent lack of the dump files will you please do this
download Who crashed the free edition
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

when you have it click the analyse tab
it will then say scroll for results

does it please report crash dumps enabled but none found or what please

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Argh. I think I am getting further away from finding the solution(s) to my occasional BSODs--because different errors just keep happening. . . .

Thankfully, however, another BSOD has *not* happened since the last one I posted about on 12/17.

BUT more errors in the event viewer:
--Error (Source, Service Control Manager): "A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the Netman service."
--Error (Source, Disk): The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR5.

Is it just me, or does that 2nd one seem bad?

Also, now my corner taskbar says something is wrong with my battery: "There is a problem with your battery, so you computer might shut down suddenly. Consider replacing your battery." (But it has in fact been working fine with *no* such shutdowns since this warning appeared with the battery icon in the taskbar.)

Finally, here is what Whocrashed says:

"Crash dump directory: C:\Users\blue\Documents\Minidump Files
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.
No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer"

As I said: argh.