Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with config (and analyzing) minidump file

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

and please check after you have shut down for the night if when booting time is correct on the notification area of the taskbar bottom right

We need the result of this.
Tonight shut down, unplug power cord
disconnect battery
See if time is right when you reboot after night shutdown

2. Go Control Panel, admin tools, computer management, disk management
with that window open send a scrrenshot please of disk management so I can see - the whole main pane of the window
you may need to send two
the top half shows the drives and there allocated letter
the bottom half also shows on left side
disk 0
disk 1
etc.

So for instance if hard disk 0 was partitioned C and E, as D is usually saved for the CD drive those would show on the line disk 0
on the top half it would not show disk 0 but it would show C and size and free space etc

3. Re the message you have regarding the battery - what is the charge shown eg 76% etc and have you tried running ONLY on battery
That battery the laptop battery is not connected with the POSSIBLE cause of the system time message

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 December 2012 - 12:00 PM.

Advertisements

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Yes, time is synced. And when rebooting it is still correct.

And, yes, even after over night the time is still correct after reboot.

I *think* I included a correct screenshot of what you requested below. . . . That small "Sys. Reserved" partition is from when I installed Windows 7 but did not eject my usb drive quickly enough on one of the install restarts, so windows installed successfully on the 2nd time, but I guess this small "partition" was left over. . . .

This brings me to something else that occurred to me: my Windows 7 install was done from an older bkup copy I saved on usb from 2010, so I don't think it had SP1 yet.

Since I am selective about my windows updates (i.e. I don't do all of them) because in the past some updates have only caused me problems, I may not yet have an update that reportedly fixes a widespread issue with erroneous battery error message. I have searched and read for what is the specific windows 7 update for this battery issue, but I cannot find the specific update # and/or link--all I read is that it was fixed with SP1, which, again, I do not believe my earlier Win 7 version had.

Do you happen to know the specific update # for this battery issue in Win 7?

disk mgmt ss.jpg

I know it seems I just keep having new problems/questions, and I really thank you for your help so far.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The system reserved partition is standard on a windows 7 installation it was nothing to do with you not ejecting (removing) the usb drive

I can see disk 1 is removable lettered E
is there a disk 2 shown below that

I never realised until you just posted that you do not have SP1 - presumably, that is VITAL and you must install it - if indeed you do not have it
Easy way to check of course is start computer right click it and properties. On the main pane it will tell you immediately if it is with SP1

I may be wrong but I do not think there will have been a Microsoft update for erroneous battery error messages
There may have been a Toshiba one but I cannot find it

The only aspect I know of is that windows vista and 7 incorporate power plans that were previously necessary to be configured using the Toshiba (or whatever other make of laptop) power management plan

As here
http://aps2.toshiba-...026Q0000R01.htm

and although that addresses Vista the same applies to 7

I suggest you download and install SP1 and in fact all other critical updates
Without them your system is at risk firstly from a security aspect and secondly SP1 incorporated many enhancements, found necessary after W7 was launched.
That is the purpose of a Service Pack

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 December 2012 - 11:27 AM.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
My mistake of course about the partitioning. . . .

As for the updates, SP1, etc.--yes, almost right after I realized that and made that last post, I soon acknowledged to myself A. no matter my past update problems, I would need to update and B. that you were going to say exactly that!

So, I have now made several more updates. Not ALL, yet. But I have installed several more. The battery error message went away instantly afterward.

Please stay subscribed to this in case another BSOD appears within the week.

As for SP1, it still indicates I do *not* have it. Scrolling through the remaining updates that I have not done, there is not any one that says it is the SP1 update, though apparently it *should* appear in my list to dl and install. . . . But it looks like I can also install from the Microsoft website/dl center, so I will try that soon.

Thank you!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go Control Panel
programs and features
view installed updates on left pane

there it is split into sections
KB976932
service pack for windows
search in top right. - probably not necessary as if it is installed you will see it on the list section Microsoft Windows

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Hello anyone,

This previous "garbled" BSOD has arisen once more, albeit after over 2 months--so I'm grateful this topic was never closed.

Thanks to Macboatmaster, now my sys. was configured to create those dump files. . . .

Again, this *IS* a clean sys. And the "garbled" BSOD began shortly after a brand new HDD was installed. But the HDD is still scanning as error-free and windows updates have been performed.

So if anyone can interpret the dump file and offer any suggestions, then I would be indebted.

Thank you!

Attached Files

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That Toshiba NB505 did not come with a DVD/CD drive, do you have an external one, many people bought a USB CD drive. If so I weill send you a download for making a CD to boot from and run a MEMtest, alternatively if your computer will booot from USB, you can check that on opening screen in boot options, normally an F key

In the meantime run this and see what this reports

http://windows.micro...n-your-computer

see run manually, control panel, admin tools, windows memory diagnostic

The crash dump is of no help really it simply reports a memory management problem on a Win32 driver

After you have done that we will carry out some other tests

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 March 2013 - 04:19 PM.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Ah, macboatmaster! Thank you so much for helping me again. . . .

I ran the first memory test you mentioned, and it finished w/ no errors reported.

And, yes, I can boot from usb, so that shouldn't be a problem for when you send me instructions on that other test.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Download this and save it to your computer

http://www.memtest.o...b.installer.zip

1. Download the file , extract the zip archive to a folder.
2. Insert the usb drive to be used into the pc, note the drive letter.
3. The installer can reformat the usb drive, this is recommended, so back up any content on the drive or lose it.
4. Run the installer, You will be asked to select the usb drive by letter, so get this correct! Check the box for reformatting the usb drive, this is recommended.

The installer works quickly.

In order to use the usb drive to run the test you will need to reboot the computer selecting the usb as the boot device

Memtest boots quickly and gets started immediately on the tests. Press esc to exit and reboot the pc.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
It took me a while before I felt I could dedicate the several hrs. of sys. time (roughly 10 hrs total I believe was the final run time), but I finally ran this test. The results were 0 errors. . . .

So I guess in one sense that's good (no issues found w/ that), but frustrating that the cause is still unknown.

One question, though: I noticed when I set the boot order to USB that the HDD has never been the first in the boot order list. . . . Indeed, there's one less "screen" that shows up now when I start the sys. (There used to be a black screen w/ some info that I believe I mentioned in a far earlier post on this thread--something about PCI or adapter or such). Is it at all possible that my unusual boot order was a cause of these past "garbled" BSOD?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Good that memtest has now verified that we can eliminate ram errors

NO the boot priority order is not the cause of the crash.

Send me this please

the FREE Pitstop - please do not install any other Pitstop software

It is Pitstop Overdrive, you do not need to create an account and then when you have it on the screen send the URL

So on this link you are clicking on the top left box of the 8 shown - titled Overdrive

http://www.pcpitstop.com/default.asp

then you are scrolling down and clicking on run anon.

The you are copying and pasting the URL

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 March 2013 - 02:44 PM.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
OK, Here is the url: http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25284634

(I knew this was a budget netbook, but that's a pretty low performance ranking. . . .)

Finally, I thought of something else odd to mention that I can't remember if I posted previously. . . . Occasionally (maybe a few times in the last 2-3 months) the sys. makes a very audible (and quite frightening, from a stability standpoint) clicking/clacking noise. It may be related to when my portable usb Steren speakers are plugged into the left side usb port, as it will stop when I quickly pull the usb cord out. I've thus only witnessed the noise lasting a few seconds. . . . But I can't recall with 100% certainty if this has, in fact, occurred once when the usb port was not in use as well. The other detail is that this noise comes from the far right (opposite side of that usb port) side of the sys.--suspiciously near (yikes!) the HDD.

Oh well, just another quirk I thought I'd mention if I had not already--in case it's potentially related.

Thank you!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The hard disk in that computer is a Seagate

ST9750420AS

It is actually a Seagate Momentus and I would like you to run Seatools for DOS

That means you will boot the computer from the CD

Or, to save me reading again through, if you can do that if NOT use Seatools for Windows

Here is how to use Seatools for Dos

http://knowledge.sea...?language=en_US

Here is how to use Seatools for Windows

http://knowledge.sea...?language=en_US

and here is the download for Seatools

http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/

I appreciate that you have run a chkdsk, but in view of the clicking noise which is often an indication of a drive failing, I would like you to run this.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Yeah, I know about the drive, make, model, etc. pretty well b/c, again, it was a relatively recent replacement. . . .

And I actually already have that tool; it's been another way I've been checking on the HDD health.

But I'll definitely run it again to check.

Another curiosity, however: every test I have run indicates this HDD is perfectly fine. BUT details in the actual use of the sys. indicate that the HDD is NOT fine (BSOD, clicking/clacking sound, the very faint occasional buzzing despite being securely inserted into the port & screwed into its rather cheap "caddy"). . . .

My point: how likely is it for diagnostics to say a HDD is good when, in fact, it is failing?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well

1. You will appreciate that I did not know you had run the Seatools

My point: how likely is it for diagnostics to say a HDD is good when, in fact, it is failing?

Possible, but VERY unlikely that both chkdsk with the r and Seatools on the Extended would report All OK if it was not.

The other possibility is that you have a temperature problem and the drive is overheating, but if it was really bad the system would shut down, whilst it cooled.

Depending on when you ran Seatools, if it was more than a couple of weeks ago, please run it again on extended, that is the better test

Also if you have the user manual I am sure you will find about cleaning the vents, you cannot always see the dust and this, although it is from HP explains the procedure

http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c01657439

I do not like the idea of either the hair dryer or the vacuum cleaner, preferring the compressed air spray, but NOT from any sort of compressor which usually has a high moisture content.

IF YOU can visually see that the vents are dust bound, you most certainly need the air spray.