Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with config (and analyzing) minidump file

• Please log in to reply

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
First, Happy Easter, if you practice a culture/faith relevant that is; if not, well, I suppose Happy Pagan Holiday? :unsure: . . . .

Well, I ran another of those Long HDD tests w/ the Seagate tools like you advised, but it came back as Pass again.

And even though it didn't look too dusty, I did clear some build-up away from the fan/vent. . . .

So I'm not sure where that leaves us w/ any remaining diagnostics. And it did have another BSOD the other day (this one when coming out of sleep, which was unusual).

Finally, that HP link you provided mentioned something about a new HDD causing added power drain & overheating. While this is obviously not an extra HDD (just a new one), the heating is not a noticeable problem, and the sys. has usually run relatively cool, it does in fact cause vastly increased battery drain. Also, this reminded me of something that I've considered before:

Perhaps this Toshiba nb505-n508bl simply is not made to handle 7200 RPM (b/c it originally came with only a 5400 RPM HDD).

In any case, this sys. has never been the same stable one ever since I "upgraded" the HDD. . . . Ultimately, I feel like giving up on trying to diagnose this further. Maybe all that's left to do is just practice backing up my important files on a daily basis now in anticipation of a future fail or other severe problem?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I do NOT think it is in any way connected with the 5400 to the 7200

Run this please and see if we can get a reading on volts and temps, but especially volts I think will be the most useful

http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

the FREE one , the download is to the right below HWMonitor Pro

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Ah ha! Here's the hwmonitor data, BUT I *think* I found a possible culprit of the BSOD. . . .

Immediately, for a flash of a second before almost every BSOD, my monitor goes black. I had assumed this was just part of the crash & BSOD. But coincidence of all coincidences! Right before I installed HWMonitor, the screen flashed black--but this time the sys. hung tough and did not revert to BSOD. Instead, the sys. continued to operate but gave me the attached graphics display driver message.

This is strange b/c after any BSOD I don't recall seeing the graphics display driver as an issue when I examined the sys. event viewer. . . .

It's also strange b/c the graphics display driver was one of the very first drivers I made certain was updated correctly w/ the new HDD. But this message says something about Windows Vista. :confused: Yet I have Windows 7. Clearly something is wrong here, right?

Do you think I'm finally getting closer to a fix?

Attached Thumbnails

• display driver stopped responding and has recovered message.png

Attached Files

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Indeed

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150

Install the driver for windows 7 for the Intel graphics

2. HW Monitor if the above does not solve it - please send the screenshot as per the image on the CPUID site

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
so far so good after the *correct* graphics driver update. . . .

does the attached HW monitor screenshot look like those other things are ok?

thank you!

Attached Thumbnails

• HW monitor.png

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes AIO no problem except battery Efficiency level of charge appears low, but you cannot always rely on that.

I do not mean charging capability I mean - what it can store.

NICAD batteries develop a memory. NiMAH batteries do not

I am not sure what battery is in that laptop, I would not trouble yourself about it too much, especially if you do not use battery ONLY frequently.

If you do -NEVER rely battery ONLY for downloading and installing updates. If it fails - and powers off you may well have serious problems.

Good luck with it pleased to have helped.

NOTE PLEASE

I am OFFLINE for some weeks - if you have a problem and post on here, if no one else has replied within 3 clear days, please post as here

http://www.geekstogo...e-waiting-room/

My regards

Macboatmaster

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 April 2013 - 05:50 PM.