Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacement motherboard for ASUS P5N32-E SLI

• Please log in to reply

krismac

krismac

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey,

So it looks like my motherboard is broken, so I'm looking to buy a new one and need some advice as I have no idea which I should get.

My parts are as follows:

Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz
Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E
6GB DDR2 Dual channel 400MHz
Nexus NX-8060 600W PSU

I obviously need a motherboard that will take all that. I would prefer to buy from ebuyer, so links etc. to board on there would be amazing! :)

Thanks!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:welcome: krismac

http://ark.intel.com...Hz-1066-MHz-FSB is this your CPU.

Can I ask why you think that your MB is bad as we would not want you to replace it only to find that it was not faulty.

krismac

krismac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
^^ yup, think so.

Was having problems starting my computer. When I pressed the power button it would light up, fans would start, but it wouldn't load. I'd have to keep switching it on and off until it eventually booted.

I opened it to clean it and when I finished it wouldn't start. I tried taking out the RAM and starting it, but no beeps. I have replaced the PSU, but same thing - just lights up, but nothing else.

I think the only thing left is the MB.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
While Phillpower2 is offline, will give a few suggestions as it still may not be the Mobo faulty.
Test your Beeper with a low volt battery, (9V) (1.5V)make sure to get the +/- connections correct.
Turn off the power, take anti static measures.
clear the CMOS (instructions in your Mobo manual) you may later need to replace if the computer is quite old.
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard, including case fans and front header cables. except the following.
Beeper, CPU/heat-sink/fan, CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan header on the Mobo, 1 stick of RAM in slot one. from the PSU, the 20/4V and axillary 12V cables to the Mobo.
Turn on the Power, use a small screwdriver to briefly short out the two power on pins on the Motherboard.

Please report the results.

Edited by iammykyl, 12 December 2012 - 06:35 AM.

krismac

krismac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Most of that didn't make sense to me unfortunately :P

I don't know what the beeper is. I have removed the cmos battery and put it back in. I have tired removing some components and turning it on such as the RAM, HD and graphics card.

Don't have anything to take anti static measurements either.

The computer is about 5 years old - could a dead cmos battery cause this?

Thanks.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
You said early on, "but no beeps". If you normally heard a beep before the problems started, there is an internal system speaker. Have you got your user manual?

krismac

krismac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ah ok, sorry.

Don't have the manual, but I could most likely find it online.

There is a green LED on the motherboard.

On the case there is a red and green LED - the green one lights up when it's starting, but just the red light is on now.

I have another computer at home, could try that cmos battery.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I have looked for your user manual, no success, I can only find a quick guide installation so am unable to know what the lights mean. If you can find one, please post the link.
A dead CMOS battery can, but not always prevent a successful boot. > http://www.helium.co...what-does-it-do

krismac

krismac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
think this is it http://dlcdnet.asus....P5N32-E_SLI.pdf

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Yes that's the one. Scrool down to chapter 2 page 34, system panel connections.
trace the wires from the system speaker, it will be a tiny speaker or a thing like a small cotton reel.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
having looked at the manual, using a 9v batter would be wrong for testing. A 1.5v AA battery will do, just need to get some sort of sound from the speaker to make sure it is not dead.
Taking anti static measures. Before working on the PC and when handling parts, briefly touch a bare unpainted part of the computer case, this will ground you, discharging any static electricity that may be stored in your body or clothing. This voltage can be quite high and if discharged through computer parts, can cause severe damage.
The green light on the Mobo is a reminder light indicated that the power supply is on, don't know what the red light on the case is for.
On that same page 34, you can see the 2 pins to short out for the power on.
If after changing the CMOS battery, still no boot, move to the minimal installed hardware test.
Set up, Beeper, CPU/heat-sink/fan, CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan header on the Mobo, 1 stick of RAM in slot one. from the PSU, the 20/4 and axillary 12V cables to the Mobo.

Edited by iammykyl, 12 December 2012 - 06:49 AM.

krismac

krismac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks will take a look tonight.

In the mean time, any suggestions for new boards?

krismac

krismac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
if i'm right, they don't have a lot that would work, but I think this would?: http://www.ebuyer.co...d-ga-g41m-combo

I was hoping to get a good quality one that would allow me to upgrade etc., but I don't think this one quite fits that :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hello krismac

I suggest that you stick with the testing that iammykyl is proposing + check out the PSU and HDD also.

I looked at ebuyer last night and noticed that all the MBs that will go with your hardware were microATX but your present MB is ATX so if the board does need replacing you will need to check that your case will accept an mATX form factor MB.

Gday iammykyl :wave:

krismac

krismac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Will try what was suggested, but would like to know what i can buy as if it doesn't work, i want to buy something asap. don't mind getting a new case if required.

would the board i linked to above work?

thanks!