Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp not getting formatted

• Please log in to reply

srijnana

srijnana

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
hello!

i wrognly installed twice windows xp professional version in my c drive only.

but now i want to format the c drive and install the fresh copy of windows xp. i have the cd but the problem is it is not allowing to boot from cd and instead its starting the WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSIONS SELECTION PAGE(2 OPERATING SYSTEM INSTALLED).

SO what i need to do to install fresh copy of windows xp???

thanks in advance..........

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hello Srijnana welcome to GeeksToGo,

You probably need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order or found a Key to access the BIOS boot menu so you can boot from the CD first.
To change the boot order on the BIOS follow this directions, every BIOS is different but will be something similar to the one in the guide.

srijnana

srijnana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i already set the first boot device as cd-rom & second boot device as hard disk but the problem is repeating......

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

i already set the first boot device as cd-rom & second boot device as hard disk but the problem is repeating......

Ok. did you notice the message to press a key to boot from CD? It shows only a few seconds when the boot from CD starts and if you don't press a key the boot will continue from the HD.

srijnana

srijnana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
actually the problem lies there only..

it just flashes the screen veryfying the DMI POOL DATA once and jumping to select the operating system..

it is not displaying boot from cd...

i even tried hitting ENTER button from the start up of the system.

but of no use...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you save the settings in the bios before exiting? It sounds to me like the boot sequence is not setup correctly in the bios because it should ask to boot to the cdrom on bootup.

srijnana

srijnana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i already set the first boot device as cd-rom & second boot device as hard disk and saved it but the problem is repeating......

Edited by srijnana, 12 December 2012 - 10:35 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With the XP disk in then it is not asking to boot to the cdrom? Is this a genuine XP disk or a copy or ISO?

srijnana

srijnana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
its a genuine version only

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then it may be a dirty disk or dirty laser on the cdrom. As I said once the cdrom is set as the first boot device the system actually halts and asks you to push any button to boot to the cdrom.

Advertisements

srijnana

srijnana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
actually that cd is working when i used it after logging into my user account...

but its getting any option boot from cd but not waiting for my response it just flash and jumping to next screen which is opearting system selection screen...

help me......

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I still think your bios is not set right to boot to the cdrom first. It sounds more like you are trying to get to the boot options and not the bios boot sequence.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also is this a internal or external cdrom?

srijnana

srijnana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i just checked the boot priority order its first is cd rom,second is hard disk,third is disabled..

and mine is a internal cd rom..

Edited by srijnana, 12 December 2012 - 11:22 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK and you say the drive works in windows so that is not the issue. The next step is the actual disk media to make sure it is clean and free from any scratches.