Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google Redirection problem; tutorial didn't work [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I'm a bit confused.

Step 2, part 6 Click the link for the jre-7u10-windows-i586.exe file.

Am I just clicking it? Running it? Saving it? I tried to run it but have incurred an error twice. I assumed I was supposed to run it, but in reading the directions again...I'm not so sure.

Please advise. Thanks!

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Number 5. under STEP 2, Update Java says:

Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer

So you would clck on the jre-7u10-windows-i586.exe file and save it to the desktop and run it from there.

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I follow the steps for installing the new Java and once the actual download/installation starts it crashes and I get an error message.

Error 1316. A network error.

I searched on the Java site and they have a whole list of troubleshooting steps but I don't have the time right now to look through all of them. I tried closing all the other programs and doing it again but that didn't do anything.

I'm not sure if there is another method of doing this or what. As of now I'm hung up on Step #2 from post 60.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hold off on uninstalling ComboFix.

On the Java problem, when you ran JavaRa did it uninstall any versions of Java?
Please look in the Add/Remove page of Control Panel and see if there any versions of Java still there. If there are, let me know which ones. The OTL Extras log that you posted showed the following versions installed:
Java™ 6 Update 24
Java 7 Update 7

If there is a version left, let me know what it is.

If all versions are gone from Add/Remove Programs, make sure you downloaded the correct Java installer. The Offline 32bit version, Windows x86 Offline 29.99 MB---jre-7u10-windows-i586.exe file.

There is an Online and an Offline version.

Delete the Java Installer you previously downloaded and then download a new one and try to install it.

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hmm, I'd tried to delete it with Add/Delete and I'm getting another error message and can't get rid of it.

I think we're close but at this point we've been working on this for a long time. I'm so frustrated I really might just buy a new computer.

I don't know what you think - if we're close I'll keep at it. I would like to fix it and not have wasted your time. And mine too. But this is cutting into my other work as well.

Ron

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Java 7 is still listed on the Add/Remove programs. Yes, I did think I removed the old Javas, as per your instructions but I guess not.

Trying to remove it under Control Panel, Add/Remove...I still get the 1316 error and cannot remove it.

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
And sorry for my frustration. I do want to continue to try and sort this out. I just am having trouble since we keep on running into road blocks.

I sincerely appreciate all your time & help!

Ron

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi Ron,

Yes, I think we a close. I don't see any malware left on the computer. The problems with updating and installing/uninstalling programs are related I fear. I'm sorry you are getting frustrated. Sometimes malware make changes to the operating system and we just have to track them down and see if we can get them back. It's not a one cure fits all.
The operating system is not my strong suit, so to speak. But there are things we can try and if they don't produce results we have system Techs who can take a look and help track the problem down.

Do you still have Java 6 Update 24 showing in the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel?

Please read these instructions carefully. If you have any questions, Stop and Ask before you start them.

Step-1.

Dial A Fix

Go to the Dial A Fix page here: http://wiki.lunarsof...wiki/Dial-a-fix
  • Scroll about half way down the page to the Download Dial-a-fix section and download Dial-a-fix v0.60.0.24.zip to the desktop.
  • Right click the Dial-a-fix v0.60.0.24.zip folder and click Extract All from the context menu. Extract it to the C:\ folder.
  • Navigate to the C:\DialAFix folder and double click on the Dial-a-fix.exe file to run it.
  • You will see a toolbar like the image below:

Posted Image
  • Click on the green checkmarks and then click the Go button.
NOTE: 1. Internet Explorer 8 and above is not supported by Dial-a-fix. If you have IE 8 installed (and you do) and run Dial-a-fix, you may receive many "Error 127" messages because Internet Explorer 8 replaces a lot of registrable components with non-registrable ones. This is OK - simply ignore all of the errors. Dial-a-fix is still able to do it's thing on other files, and no damage has been done to your system during these error messages.
2. Dial-a-fix may appear to hang when registering objects with lots of dependencies (such as initpki.dll, shell32.dll, etc) - it's not hanging, it's just LoadLibrary()-ing a lot of dependencies

Step-2.

See if you can update Windows now.

Step-3.

Things For Your Next Post:
Please post the logs in the order requested. Do Not attach the logs unless I request it.
1. Let me know if Java 6 Update 24 is still showing in the Add/Remove Programs
2. Let me know how if Windows can update now.

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
1. Let me know if Java 6 Update 24 is still showing in the Add/Remove Programs

No. But there is Java 7 Update 7.

2. Let me know how if Windows can update now.

Not sure & wanted to ask before proceeding. What do you mean by update Windows? Do you mean uninstall Java? Or...what?

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi Ron,

I meant to see if you could uninstall Java 7 Update 7 now and install the Update 10 version.

I think I know what the problem is. Back in post #61 you said that you tried to run the installation file from the download site and got an error twice. That was probably because Java 7 Update 7 was still on the machine. There is most likely a corrupted installation file that we need to remove.

Please try to uninstall Java 7 Update 7 through the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel again. If that works and Update 7 is uninstalled (it no longer shows in the Add/Remove Programs list), let me know and we will take it from there.

IF it doesn't work:

Run JavaRA again and click the Remove Older Versions tab. If it successfully removes the Update 7 version (it no longer shows in the Add/Remove Programs list), let me know and we will take it from there.

IF that doesn't work:

Run Revo Uninstaller

Download Revo Uninstaller to the desktop.

Close all open windows and browsers.

• Double click the revosetup.exe installation file on the desktop to run the installer.
  • Let it install to the default location and put an icon on the desktop.
  • Double click the new Revo Uninstaller Icon on the desktop to start the program.

You will now see a list of installed programs that Revo Uninstaller can remove.
  • Locate the program you are uninstalling---Java
  • Right Click the program Icon then choose Uninstall.
  • Click yes to the warning and choose the Uninstall Mode
  • Choose the Moderate option and then click Next.
  • This will launch the programs built in uninstaller. Be patient it can take several seconds.
  • Once the Uninstaller is done click Next.
  • Revo Uninstaller will now scan for leftover information. Be patient it can take several seconds.
  • Once this scan is done click Next.
  • You will then be presented with the leftover entries found by Revo Uninstaller
  • Look at ALL of the entries to ensure they relate to the uninstall.
  • Next click the box beside ALL items in Bold only then click the Delete button to remove the entries.
  • Click Next.
  • If there are any program file folders left over you will be presented with a list to be removed.
  • Again look at ALL of the entries to ensure they are related to the uninstall.
  • Click the box beside ALL entries in Bold that are related to the uninstalled program and click the Delete button to remove the entries.
  • Click Finish to go back to the uninstall list.
  • Close the program
IF that worked and Java 7 Update 7 has been uninstalled (no longer shows in the Add/Remove Programs list), let me know.

Advertisements

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Down to the 3rd option and now I have a list of "Found leftover Registry items"...but I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. There are a few things that say Java but a lot of things that don't mention Java.

I'm confused as to what I'm supposed to click/highlight and then delete. It found 281 items, I need more clarification on how I determine what I check and what I delete, please.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Basically, if the items are in bold type then they should be checked and then the deleted. See the image below.

Posted Image

You can also post screen shots of the Found leftover registry items screen.

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Okay, I checked the bolded, then delete. Then it brought me to another registry list with all Java 7 items. I selected all and deleted these as well. Looking under the Add/Remove programs does not show Java 7. Hope I did that right.

Next step?

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi Ron,

Sounds like you did it perfectly.

• Delete the jre-7u10-windows-i586.exe file that is on the desktop.
  • Go to this Java downloads page.
  • In the Java SE Runtime Environment 7u10 section, click the radio button beside Accept License Agreement
  • In the Downloads column, click the jre-7u10-windows-i586.exe file. (It is described as the Windows(86) Offline file and it is 29.99MB in size)
  • A file download window should open up.
  • Click Save file or Save, depending on the browser you are using. And Save the file to the desktop.
    Close the Browser and any other open windows
  • Double Click on the jre-7u10-windows-i586.exe file to install Java 7 Update 10.

Let me know how the install went.

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
You have successfully installed Java!