Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google Redirection problem; tutorial didn't work [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
That's great. Well done.

Now let's see if we can sort the Windows Security Center issue. We ran Dial-A-Fix, so let's see it the the registry will merge the key.

Do you still have the LEGACY_WSCSVC.reg file on the desktop? If you don't, go back to post #35 and download it to the desktop again.

Close all open browsers ans windows and right click on the LEGACY_WSCSVC.reg file and click Merge.
OK any prompts you might get.
If you get a message saying the file merged successfully, reboot the computer to make the changes effective.

Let me know what happened.

Advertisements

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Yes, still on the desktop.

Right click, Merge, Run, Add to registry? (Yes) and then I got this message:

Registry Editor - Cannot Import - Error Accessing the Registry

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Step-1.

Backup the Registry

If you don't have ERUNT set to automatically back the registry up every time you turn the computer on:

Double click the ERUNT icon on the desktop to run the program, or click Start, then All Programs, then ERUNT
Double click the ERUNT program to run it.

Step-2.

Reset Registry Permissions

Download Reset Registry Permissions to the desktop from here.

• Double-click on Tweaking.com-ResetRegistryPermissions.exe to run the program.
  • Once the application has fully loaded >> click on Start
  • When it has finished processing, right click in the left hand side log area >> Select All
  • Open a notepad file and right click in that and choose Paste >> save the notepad file to the desktop.
  • Close Tweaking.com-ResetRegistryPermissions.exe and reboot the machine.
  • Post the contents of the aforementioned notepad file in your next reply.
Note: There will also be a folder on the desktop named Tweaking.com - Reset Registry Permissions, leave that in-place for the time being.

Step-3.

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Log:
Reset Registry Permissions 01/03
HKEY_CURRENT_USER & Sub Keys
Start (1/13/2013 5:02:36 PM)
Done (1/13/2013 5:02:43 PM)

Reset Registry Permissions 02/03
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE & Sub Keys
Start (1/13/2013 5:02:43 PM)
Done (1/13/2013 5:02:52 PM)

Reset Registry Permissions 03/03
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT & Sub Keys
Start (1/13/2013 5:02:52 PM)
Done (1/13/2013 5:02:57 PM)

Total Repair Time: 00:00:21

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Step 3, Windows Update.

Do you mean click on Start and go to Help & Support?

If so I'm getting an error message. Windows cannot find helpctr.exe.

Am I doing this wrong or what? Please advise the next step.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Nope, you aren't doing it wrong. I'm having a senior moment. :upset: What I meant was......

Try to merge the LEGACY_WSCSVC.reg file into the registry again. To do this:

Right click on the LEGACY_WSCSVC.reg file on the desktop and click Merge.
Do you still get the Registry Editor - Cannot Import - Error Accessing the Registry error or did you get a message stating that the merge was successful?

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Yes, still getting Registry Error, Cannot Import.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
OK, let's try this:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL. Task Manager will open. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Type REGEDIT.exe and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate the LEGACY_WSCSVC.reg file. Highlight it and click Open.

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hi godawgs,

Argh...tried that and still got the error message!

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi Ron,

OK, let's physically look at that registry key and see what the permissions are. If you have any questions about this, STOP and ask.

Step-1.

Show Hidden Files and Folders
  • Click Start. Then click Computer.
  • On the next window, at the top of the window, click Tools then click Folder Options.
  • On the Folder Options window click the View tab.
  • Under the Files and Folders section:
  • Make sure that 'Show hidden files and folders' (or 'Show all files') is enabled.

Posted Image
  • Also make sure that Hide protected system operating files(recommended) is un-checked.

Posted Image
  • Also make sure the Hide extensions for known file types box is un-checked.

Posted Image

Step-2

Back Up the registry key.

• Click Start, then click Run. The Run window will open.
  • In the Open box type regedit and click OK. The registry editor window will open.
  • Click the + beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  • Click the + beside SYSTEM
  • Click the + beside CurrentControlSet
  • Click the + beside Enum
  • Right-Click the Root key and click Export. The Export Registry File window will open.
  • In the column on the left side, click Desktop. This will put the Desktop in the Save in: box.
  • In the File name: box, type Legacykeybakup
  • In the Save as type: box, make sure it says Registration files (*.reg)
  • Click the Save button. This will put a file named Legacykeybakup.reg on the desktop.
Then back at the Registry Editor
  • Right-Click the Root key and click Permissions. The Permissions window will open.
  • Under the Group or user names: section, click the first Group or User, then look in the Permissions for Owner Rights section and tell me which boxes are checked in the Allow column and the Deny column.
  • Repeat for every Group or user in the Group or user names: section.

As an example, on my Vista machine under the Group or user names: section I have the following:
    Everyone
    OWNER RIGHTS
    SYSTEM

If I click the Everyone entry and look in the Permissions for OWNER RIGHTS section , the Full Control boxes beside Allow and Deny are blank.
    The boxes beside Full are blank.
    The allow box beside Special Permissions is checked and the box beside Deny is blank.
  • Next, click the Advanced button at the bottom of the page. The Advanced Security Settings window will open.
  • Click the Owner tab and take a screenshot of that window and post it along with the results you got in the previous steps.

Advertisements

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Permission for Root: Everyone; Full Control -- Allow & Deny Boxes are unchecked; Read -- Allow box is checked but like hidden/not checkeable (if you know what I mean) Deny box is working/open but unchecked; Special Permission -- faint grey (like Allow of Read) so you are not able to check, uncheck them

Now I switch to System in Permissions for Root
Full Control - grey box for Allow/can't check it even if wanted to; Deny box is unchecked
Read - greyed out for Allow; unchecked for Deny
Special Permissions - both boxes greyed out

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I hopefully attached the screen capture.

Attached Thumbnails

• screen capture.JPG

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi Ron,

Yep, I think that is a protected registry key....but during my research I couldn't find anything on the LEGACY key you said you found back in post #39

You said the LEGACY_WSCSVC key had an X in it and was WXCSVC. Well I can't find anything on a WXCSVS service or LEGACY_WXCSVC key, so I want to take a look at it.

• Please click Start, then click Run. A Run window will open up.
  • In the Run box type or Copy and Paste the following:
    reg query HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\enum\root\LEGACY_WXCSVC /s >> %userprofile%\desktop\wxcsvc.txt
  • Click the OK button. A black Command will open briefly and then close. This is normal.
  • A file will be placed on the desktop named wxcsvc.txt
  • Open the wxcsvc.txt file and Copy the contents and post them in your next reply.

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I tried that but nothing seems to be put onto the desktop. I looked at the actual desktop, then opened My Computer and went to the desktop and arranged by date. Nothing is showing up.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
OK. Let's do it from a Command Prompt.

• Click Start, then click Run. A Run window will open.
  • Type cmd.exe in the Open box and click the OK button. A Command Window will open.
  • At the blinking cursor type or Copy and Paste the following, then press the Enter key:
    reg query HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\enum\root\LEGACY_WXCSVC /s >> %userprofile%\desktop\wxcsvc.txt
    (Notice the space between WXCSVC and the /s, and between the /s and >>, and between the >> and %userprofile%)
    This will put a file on the desktop named wxcsvc.txt
  • Copy the contents of the wxcsvc.txt file and paste them in your next reply.