Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iPad screen/digitizer replacement questions

• Please log in to reply

howtheflip

howtheflip

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hello all,

This is my first time working on a tablet device, as I usually work on laptops/desktops. I would like to purchase an iPad off of eBay for a good price, and have noticed that obviously the ones with broken lcd screens/touch devices sell for less. Obviously as well, I would expect to replace this part myself and just had a few questions based on my research:

I have read that the iPad screen is made up of the glass screen, the digitizer and the lcd display. The glass screen protects the lcd display which is what is actually showing the image, and the digitizer is what responds to touch.

If I were to buy a broken iPad, I would have to buy the lcd display and digitizer separately, correct?

And that previous situation only holds true of the digitizer does not respond to touch as well, correct? Otherwise I could just replace the screen.

And if the screen is fine but the digitizer doesn't work, I can just replace the digitizer and use the old screen, correct?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Barpanda

Barpanda

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
That is correct young Skywalker. :)