Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot after removing some malware. [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

zhirzzh

zhirzzh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
System repair and system restore don't work.

The error I'm getting is: c0000135 The program can't start because %hs is missing from your computer.

I'm on Win 7 64 bit.

Attached Files

• Attached File  FRST.txt   34.55KB   200 downloads

Edited by zhirzzh, 13 December 2012 - 01:25 AM.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi,

Please refrain from posting multiple requests for assistance in various forums for the same issue. This is counter productive...

I have bad news I'm afraid. :(

One or more of the identified infections is the extremely severe Zero Access Rootkit plus undoubtedly other comprising malware!

OK since we are dealing with the aforementioned infection(s) I would be providing your good self with a disservice if I did not make you aware of the ramifications below:

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and Download and Execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Although an attempt could be made to clean this machine, it could never be considered to be truly clean, secure, or trustworthy. We could not say definitively that unknown and unseen malware will have been removed, nor will your system be restored to its pre-infection state. We cannot remedy unknown changes the malware may likely have made in order to allow itself access, nor can we repair the damage it may possibly have caused to vital system files. Additionally, it is quite possible that changes made to the system by the malware may impact negatively on your computer during the removal process. In short, your system may never regain its former stability or its full functionality without a reformat. Therefore, your best and safest course of action is a reformat and reinstallation of the Windows Operating System, and that is the course we strongly recommend.

Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

I can attempt to clean this machine(anything I try may not be successful) but I can't guarantee that it will be at all secure afterwords.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Please let myself know what you have decided to do in your next post.

zhirzzh

zhirzzh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I will reformat the drive when I get home on Saturday. Since I haven't done anything on my computer but use email and Steam in the last few days, it seems fair to say that I've had this for a while, so two days won't do much. I've managed to make it boot again using FRST, but I'll disconnect it from the internet.

My only question is that I want to copy as many things onto a hard drive to put back on when I format the HD, and am wondering what is unsafe to copy. I'd assume my documents and things like save games should be fine, but that .exe files might be infected, so I should shouldn't copy any programs like Google Chrome, yes?

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

I will reformat the drive when I get home on Saturday. Since I haven't done anything on my computer but use email and Steam in the last few days, it seems fair to say that I've had this for a while, so two days won't do much. I've managed to make it boot again using FRST, but I'll disconnect it from the internet.

Fair play.

My only question is that I want to copy as many things onto a hard drive to put back on when I format the HD, and am wondering what is unsafe to copy. I'd assume my documents and things like save games should be fine, but that .exe files might be infected, so I should shouldn't copy any programs like Google Chrome, yes?

The is no evidence that any executables are compromised so should be fine to do so but if not really needed a fresh install would be prudent I personally think.

Are you intending to invoke the Recovery Partition and perform a factory reset or a reformat and reinstallation etc ?

zhirzzh

zhirzzh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Windows 7 64 Install CD, so I was planning to copy the files I want, format the drive, and do a clean install. It would be nice to copy my games over, but since 90% of them are on Steam, it isn't a big deal to redownload if you think that's more prudent.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Below is some generic advice for after the reformat and reinstallation etc...

--------------

Install all critical updates and relevant service packs via Windows Update. For Windows 7 the latest is SP1.

I would also ensure Internet Explorer is up-to date also. For Windows 7 based machines it is IE9. Reason being even if you opt not to use IE as your main browser having a out of date version installed can leave any one machine vulnerable to malware.

The aforementioned should be available via Windows Update, if not can be downloaded from here.

Once the machine is updated and fully patched, I do advise visiting Windows Update periodically as Microsoft releases patches for Windows and other products regularly.

Plus check Automatic Updates is enabled.

--------------

Then install a Anti-Virus software solution, only ever have one of such installed and active in system memory at any one time.

Either of the below will suffice:-

Which ever of the above you choose to install, automatically checks for updates and downloads/installs them with every system reboot and or periodically if the machine is left running providing a internet connection is active.

I advise you also run a complete scan with this at least once per week.

--------------

Installing a specific Anti-Spyware application would be prudent, myself I recommend:-

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware

During the installation process you will be offered the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Trial. Your choice to enable or not...

After installing, I advise check for updates and run a scan at least once per week.

--------------

Emergency Recovery Utility NT. I advice you consider installing this, as a means to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. Instructions can be read here.

Myself I would actually create a new back up once per week as this along with System Restore may prove to be invaluable if something unforeseen occurs!

--------------

A custom Host-File is a further layer of protection whilst browsing online.

Either of the below will suffice:-

Only use one of the above!

--------------

Consider installing WinPatrol. This application alerts you about possible system hijacks, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission.

Download it from here.

You can find information about how WinPatrol works here.

--------------

Finally, periodically visit the Secunia Online Software Inspector to ensure all third party software is upto date. As many such as Adobe and Java related applications for example if out of date can be exploited by malware.

Or atinetievely download/install and use FileHippo Update Checker...

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.