Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
http://public.avast....erek/aswMBR.exe is the link but don't worry about it if it won't run. Go on and try the other things. I'm going to be off-line for the next few hours. We are having a New Years day party.

Advertisements

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
There are a lot of Toshiba programs that came with the PC. I seriously doubt that you need all of them but don't know much about them.

Let's try aswMBR again. This time:

Right click the aswMBR.exe and select Run As Administrator to run it
uncheck trace disk IO calls
Click the "Scan" button to start scan

Does it still crash? yes

Also let's get the Toshiba Drive test program:

http://storage.toshi...tware-utilities cant do this its telling me only an administrater can do this...strange as thats me

We want the first one:

Windows Diagnostic Tool Ver. 1.12
(For IDE/ATA/SATA Hard Drives)
ZIPfjdtwin.exe [464KB]

Save it to your desktop. Right click on it and Run As Admin. The Quick Test is pretty useless but the Comprehensive Test should be pretty good. Does it pass the Comprehensive test? (It says it should take 30 to 100 minutes but I'm not sure this has been updated for today's larger drives so it may take a lot longer. If it finds anything and offers to try and fix it tell OK. )

Let's also check the Memory:

Go to http://www.sevenforu...stics-tool.html and follow step 1: To Start from within Windows 7 no errors found

How many of these original problems do you still have? Are there any new ones?

1. I start my laptop and is is really slow yes
2. a blue screen appears then goes yes
3. once logged in after about 10 minutes the computer freezes yes
4. an icon appears telling me its unresposive and to 'kill' pages sometimes
5 sometimes it freezes and the only way to restart the lap top is by turning it off at the button sometimes
6 in google chrome it sometimes tells me that shockwave is unplugged no

Edited by dustypink, 01 January 2013 - 05:11 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
In Vista and Windows 7 you almost always have to right click and Run As Admin any time you run a powerful program. Did you do that after you downloaded the Toshiba Drive test program?

1. I start my laptop and is is really slow yes

is it slow from boot to login or from login to desktop or both? Process Explorer says it should be pretty quick once it gets to the desktop.
Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue. Type with an Enter after each line:

msconfig

Go to Services tab and click on the box to hide Microsoft Services then uncheck
everything that remains. Go to Startup tab and uncheck everything. OK and
reboot. Msconfig will pop up - just minimize it for now. Did it boot a lot faster? If so go back in and check about half of the items you unchecked, Apply and reboot. Try to isolate the slowness to one or two programs. IF it doesn't help recheck everything.

Open the minimized msconfig and on the boot tab, click on boot log. Then Apply and Reboot. (If you found 1 or 2 programs which seem to make it slower leave them checked off and tell me.)

After it reboots, find the file:

C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt and attach it or copy and paste it to a reply.

(If you have trouble seeing the file:
Open the Control Panel menu and click Folder Options.
After the new window appears select the View tab.
Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
Press the Apply button and then the OK button )

Go back into msconfig as before and uncheck the boot log option and Apply. You need not reboot yet.

2. a blue screen appears then goes yes

When exactly does this blue screen occur? I suspect it's the video driver having a problem starting. Let's see what happens when you boot in VGA mode.
(Reboot and when you see the maker's logo, hear a beep or it talks about F8, start tapping the F8 key slowly. Keep tapping until the Safe Mode Menu appears and choose Enable Low Resolution Video. Login with your usual login.) Do you still get the blue screen as before?

3. once logged in after about 10 minutes the computer freezes yes

Does Speedfan show any increase in temperature during the 10 minutes? Does it matter what program you run? Does it happen if you don't run any programs? Does it start working again if you wait for a while? If so, right click on the clock in the bottom right and select Task Manager then Processes. Click twice on the CPU column header and the highest users should jump to the top. Leave Task Manager up until it hangs and look to see what the biggest users of CPU is.

4. an icon appears telling me its unresponsive and to 'kill' pages sometimes

Is this Chrome? Are there certain sites that do this more often than others?

Try incognito mode as per http://readwrite.com...o_enter_safe_mo

If this helps then the problem is one of your add-ons or extensions.

5 sometimes it freezes and the only way to restart the lap top is by turning it off at the button sometimes

Do the same as for 3 above.

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
is it slow from boot to login or from login to desktop or both? Process Explorer says it should be pretty quick once it gets to the desktop.
Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue. Type with an Enter after each line:

Ok I log on with my passowrd it then takes 3 mins and goes to a blue screen bright blue for anotehr 3 mins then desk top appears

msconfig

Go to Services tab and click on the box to hide Microsoft Services then uncheck
everything that remains. Go to Startup tab and uncheck everything. OK and
reboot. Msconfig will pop up - just minimize it for now. Did it boot a lot faster? If so go back in and check about half of the items you unchecked, Apply and reboot. Try to isolate the slowness to one or two programs. IF it doesn't help recheck everything.

Open the minimized msconfig and on the boot tab, click on boot log. Then Apply and Reboot. (If you found 1 or 2 programs which seem to make it slower leave them checked off and tell me.)

all the above I do not understand...where is the services tab?

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
The blue screen has never appeared before its the same blue as the screen that come up with all the writing in it that then shuts the lap top down.

I can not do the Toshiba scan as it wont let me

I ran the avast scan last night and it shut the computer down

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Does Speedfan show any increase in temperature during the 10 minutes? Does it matter what program you run? Does it happen if you don't run any programs? Does it start working again if you wait for a while? If so, right click on the clock in the bottom right and select Task Manager then Processes. Click twice on the CPU column header and the highest users should jump to the top. Leave Task Manager up until it hangs and look to see what the biggest users of CPU is.

I have no idea I do not look at speed fan in the 10 mins

I dont know but it seems to freeze when I am asked to scan

wheres the clock I need to click on?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
If you get msconfig to come up you should see the tab labeled Services. See

http://www.netsquirr...onfig_win7.html

which shows you what the msconfig window looks like. They have an alternative way of getting msconfig to run so you can try that if my way doesn't work for you.

The fact that the Avast scan caused the PC to turn itself off is not a good sign. This sort of indicates that the PC itself has problems. Can you get a blank CD so we can burn a boot CD?

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I dont have a CD

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I am lost with what you want me to do next

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
ok I clicked on misconfig...computer froze...I did it again and nothing happens I did it again egg timer sits there for ages nothing is happening

Advertisements

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
desk top icons vanished

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I am still getting the blue screen when I log on

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I think without a CD there is not much else we can do. You need to buy a blank CD or preferably several then come back when you have them and we can continue.

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
what sort of cd

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
CD-R is usually the cheapest. CD-RW will also work. Doesn't matter what brand. Usually they say something like:

CD-R recordable discs
700 MB/80 minute capacity
52x recording speed