Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell logo on Windows 7 Genuine on Hp laptop

• Please log in to reply

soulcutter

soulcutter

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello users,

This is my 1st post so pls go easy on me....:)

I own a hp pavillion g6 2006tx
Intel i5 2nd gen
Windows 7 Home Basic(preinstalled)

I formatted my hard drive using a DVD(s) created using "Hp recovery Manager"
But it Failed (Due to many Scratches on the dics)and i lost all my data along the Windows 7 OS.
The startup Screen said BOOTMANAGER not found.
I gave my laptop to a retailer and he installed Windows 7 in it but the OEM branding is "DELL", although the Windows is Genuine and has the same priduct key as mine.
Now i cannot install any Hp drivers(softwares) i.e. Hp recovery manager, Hp coolsense etc
HELP-
1)How to Change it to Hp?
2)Where do i download all the essential Drivers from?{i would appreciate if you suggest the direct link(s).Thank you}
3)What if i loose my OS again?How to i recover it?

I hope i am clear regarding my Problems.....
Please ask if any further info is needed....
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.....:)

Edited by soulcutter, 14 December 2012 - 11:38 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
According to the HP web site:

Recovering your computer without recovery discs

You may not need recovery discs to recover the software on your computer. HP provides a recovery solution on a separate area of the hard drive. If the hard drive is still functional, you can still perform an HP system recovery from the hard drive as long as the recovery information has not been destroyed or corrupted.
To do a software recovery from the hard drive, turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key until "Windows is loading files..." displays on the screen. If your computer originally came with Windows XP or earlier, press F10 to enter recovery instead of F11.

Unless the shop you took it to deleted the recovery partition. If so you can check the HP web site for your computer and see if a recovery disc is available, which is unlikely for Win 7 Starter. If not you are going to have to buy a copy or move to Windows 8. A System Builder version of Windows 7 runs about $90, Windows 8 update version is available for $40.

soulcutter

soulcutter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
@Ztruker-
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your reply...

Unfortunately I deleted the recovery partition....!!!!
I tried but couldnt find the recovery discs on Hp website...
Can I find the recovery Discs on any torrent sites...!!
If yes can you help me find them.... (By posting a link or something)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No torrents I am aware of but there is a way to do this. I created a flash drive which is a multi-version capable Windows 7 install source.

Any version of Windows 7 can be installed from it, from Starter to Ultimate, including Basic, 32 or 64 bit. If you go with just 32 or 64 bit, it will fit on a 4GB flash drive, otherwise you will need a larger drive. I used a 16GB flash drive.

AllWin72.jpg

Here are the instructions to create it:

First, download the X86 and X64 versions of one of the latest Windows 7 + SP1 .iso images from here: Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Digital River. It doesn't matter which one you choose, Home Premiuum, Pro or Ultimate. They each contain all versions.

Following posted by SIW2 here: Creating a 2 OS thumb drive - Windows 7. I've made some changes for clarity.

1. Copy the contents of the x86 dvd/iso onto a partition. I used partition H, so I had a folder H:\GRM.... ( or a similar long list of letters). Rename the GRM... folder to x86 - that makes it easier. You now have H:\x86 as the folder.

Note: I used 7-Zip to extract the files from the .iso to H:\x86.

2. Copy ONLY the install.wim from the x64 installation media onto the same partition.

Note: Again, I used 7-Zip to open the X64 .iso file and extract install.wim to H:\x86.

Rename that to Win7x64.wim. You now have Win7x64.wim and the X86 folder in the root of the H:\ drive.

3. Put a copy of Imagex in Windows\System32 of the o/s ( Vista or 7) you are booted into. You can download them here:
imagex.zip
imagex16385.zip

4. Open an Elevated Command Prompt and type the following - press enter after each line and wait for it to complete ( it's quick) : [obviously, replace H: with the letter of the partition you have the files on ]

Imagex /export "H:\Win7x64.wim" 1 "H:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 Home Basic (x64)"

Imagex /export "H:\Win7x64.wim" 2 "H:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)"

Imagex /export "H:\Win7x64.wim" 3 "H:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 Professional (x64)"

Imagex /export "H:\Win7x64.wim" 4 "H:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)"

5. Delete the ei.cfg file from the H:\x86\sources folder.

6. Use ImgBurn to make a bootable .iso from the H:\x86 folder. Use that as input to
Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3. All editions of 32 and 64 bit can be installed from the flash drive as long as you have a valid key for each.

Hopefully that's clear enough. If not come back with any questions you have.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Or, here is a short, sweet version of how to do this: http://www.sevenforu...tml#post2215602

soulcutter

soulcutter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks again.