Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

random shut down, freeses, BSOD please help

• Please log in to reply

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
took it out for like 5 min

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Should not be a problem put it back in follow the steps in the video I linked you to and see how it goes.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
did it... still nothing, turn on, fans go on, you hear a bit of noise but then nothing screen stays black, pc turn of then turns back on and this goes on till i force power it off

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Try it with only one stick of ram next.
I think if that does not work you may need to wait on the help of the original guy that was helping you good luck.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Philpower2
Ok, after some time of panic, the pc is working again. I did as rockmilk suggested and tried again with inly 1 ram, and BEEP it went, so i added the other 3 stick and bam, it started... so i though ok, time fr test, tried only 1 stick and BEEP w/ no boot, put 2 sticks in, (1 in slot 1 & 1 in slot 2) it booted :) and with SIW it said 4 available and 4 installed max 4, that put a smile on my face, so I added a 3rd stick in slot 3 and it said 6 installed 6 available Max 4(wrong value). so I tried putting the rd stick in the 5th slot (witch was neevr in use) and it said the same thing, so i decited to go back to square one and leave the 1 in slot 1 and put the one in slot 2 in slot 3, turn on pc and BEEEEEPP came on again... so my conclusion is, for some reason slot 3456 are not working properly. but weir thing is it says that its available and its installed, but it maxes out a 4gb. my guess (and its a wild one, cus i know jack about these things) is that some how in the BIOS or somewere there is a set limit to 4gb... IDK, you guys tell me, im a noob ;) hopefully we (you guys) can help me figure it out... thanks a lot againto all you guys, specialy philpower2 & rockmilk, you guys all ROCK!!!!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Gandalf81

Can you post your Ram details for us brand, speed and any ID code please, for example Corsair DDR3-1600 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9

While the PC is running with only the present Ram fitted run the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system, I am not suggesting that you purchase anything but would like to see if what is recommended is the same configuration that you have now http://www.crucial.c...ner/?click=true let us know what is suggested.

Also I have to ask :whistling: was the freshly installed OS 64 or 32-bit as only 4GB of Ram being recognized suggests a 32-bit OS and when you replaced the CMOS battery did you reset the time - date and then save and exit.

Next run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

Thanks for your input rockmilk :thumbsup:

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi Philpower,
Ok, the RAM info is on the screen shot that I posted on the front page... idk how to get other info, if thats not what your looking for please explain how I can get this info.
http://www.crucial.c...116437D31D926C3
My OS is 64 bit see attached file (its in italian)
and yes when i took out the battery the time got reset. I took out the battery for about 5 min (dont ask me why, lol) then put it back in... and time was totally wrong and date was 2009.
right now i have to go do some things, (just got back from work) when I will get back I will do PCpitsop.
thanks sooooo much for helping me out :)

Edited by Gandalf81, 20 December 2012 - 09:19 AM.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
sorry oither post it didnt come out

Edited by Gandalf81, 20 December 2012 - 09:19 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Gandalf81

Ram checks out as being detected ok so we will need to wait on your PCPitstop url now to see what shows up there.

While we look at the PCPitstop results can you run Speccy for us and post a screenshot of the expanded motherboard tab details http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
ok, ran speecy here are the result

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the screenshot :thumbsup:
I used the above to check your voltages and they are showing as being all good. just need the PCPitstop url now please.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Philpower2,
here are the results: http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25172009
cheers

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
wow, so many people looking at my post, thank you guys for helping me out :) :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the url Gandalf81 :thumbsup:

There is nothing bad in the results whatsoever so I can only suspect a problem with DIMM slot 1 (hardware) on the MB or a memory controller issue, both can be random and can appear and then disappear again just as quickly.

Possible software causes include AVG, Google and Punkbuster causing conflicts, this is easy enough to check by uninstalling them and seeing how the computer runs without them, if no issues occur re-install them one at a time and again run the computer and see how it behaves.

NB: The software issues explained a little further, AVG is demanding on system resources and hogs your memory etc, try Avast or MSE free as an alternative and see if things improve, A bad Google install can cause problems which can often be remedied by an uninstall and fresh install, Punkbuster does not play nicely with some games that are not compatible with http://forums.gamers...buster-problem/ this however may not cause issues when not online gaming but it cannot be ruled out.

If any of the products are the paid for version please record your registration details which will allow you to reinstall the software if required.

Lastly run DriverMax to see if it offers any driver updates for the MBs chipset or the add on video card http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/ please note that you are only allowed to download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the "install AVG Toolbar" box.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Thanks for your help Philpower2 :thumbsup:
i ran driver max and infact some drivers arent updated, doing updates now. I uninstalle google what ever i was, didnt even know I had it installed. idk if punkbuster is the problem, because i can log in and play and i have never been kicked by PB, it just froze or gave me a BSoD. I will download avast or MSE later on, although i would regret leaving AVG, always was good to me, but ill try to uninstall it see how it goes... again THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help, i dont know what I would do with out you or the other guys on here. If you ever come to Switzerland let me now, I`l offer you some beers ;) cheers