Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Replace laptop hard drive

• Please log in to reply

jjlad

jjlad

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi there,
I'm an FNG here so please bear with me.
My 250 gig laptop drive is getting full so I purchased a 1 TB drive today. I thought I might still make use of the old one so I also purchased a usb3/2 drive enclosure to put the old one in afterward.
I wanted to clone the C: drive totally so I could put it on the new drive and not have to reinstall anything. I went online and found clonezilla. Trying to get that onto my PC however has proven to be the worst nitemare I've experienced in downloading and installing thus far. The instructions are baffling, the download is laced with about 30 add on programs which appear to want to change all your search and browsing habits, collect data at will from your machine, peer down your throat, crawl up your butt and generally make your computing life a living [bleep]. It even offers checkboxes to select (or not) the programs to install but the text next to the button to proceed reads that by proceeding you are accepting all of the add ons anyway and with them not checked ..the install finishes but there is no program and clonezilla doesn't show up anywhere.
So my question is this. Is there a simple way to go about this? I thought I could put the new drive into the drive enclosure I bought and using an available program of some type ..clone my current drive onto that one, then simply swap the two and then format the 250 to use for storage only. Am I in dreamland or is that possible?
Good advice will be much appreciated. I've been at it for about 3.5 hours now and my head is getting quite squared off from hitting the surface of my desk repeatedly.
Thanks in advance!
jj

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
:welcome: jjlad

If the new HDD is the Seagate brand you can use Disk Wizard http://knowledge.sea...US/FAQ/201991en for other brands of HDD use Macrium reflect (free) http://www.macrium.c...eflectfree.aspx

As an asides I have never used Clonezilla myself but I have read of some (but not many) people having certain problems with the program, not too bad though for something that is free to use by the look of it http://clonezilla.or...nown-issues.php

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
I have used Easues ToDo backup Free a few times and it hasn't failed me. It clones, backs up, restores, etc.
Easeus Backup

jjlad

jjlad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks so much for the link Phill. My new drive is a Western Digital. 1 TB
What a pleasure it was to install Macrium Reflect. No add ons and only a polite request for registration ..which I gladly gave for such a smooth install.

the instructions that came with the Nextstar CX drive enclosure indicate the new drive needs to be initialized and partitioned before it will appear in Windows Explorer.

I put the new drive in the enclosure and plugged it in to a USB port.
The drive light comes on but Windows7 doesn't do anything ...and doesn't even acknowledge that a new USB device has been plugged in.

I started Reflect and it doesn't show it either.

I looked up how to create partition etc., but it seems to be predicated on the new drive showing up in the 'disk management' section of Windows 'computer management' and it isn't showing up there either. I don't see a little rope so I can't start it like a lawn mower ..so hopefully someone has further suggestions.

jj

Am I missing another step?

jj

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
You are welcome jj :thumbsup:

Re: The enclosure, have you installed the drivers for the enclosure, also please note that unless the user manual tells you otherwise you should always connect a new USB device only after the drivers have been installed, once the drivers have successfully installed you should receive an on screen message asking you to physically connect the USB device, the drivers are then paired with the device to complete the installation.

Sorry if you are aware of the above guidance but others who read your topic may not be.

jjlad

jjlad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks again. Turned out to be a faulty USB cable. I took the works back to the store yesterday and with a cable swap it worked.
The drive backed up overnight using Macrium Reflect. Looking at my drives now however I see it only created partitions for all that was on my original drive, and so the size being reported now is only 238gigs out of the total 1TB of the new drive. Looks like there must be another step to follow now to expand that partition and utilize the entire drive.
Off to work so I'll check back later. Have a great day!

jjlad

jjlad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi again.
Ok .. I'm running off the new drive now.
The only problem is there were 700 gigs of unallocated space on the new drive.
I found and installed MiniTool Partition Wizard and extended C to approx 500gigs.
I wanted to create another partition for the remaining space but got a message I couldn't because there weren't enough something or others on the disk.
Right now on it I've got these partitions:
System Reserved
C:
D: HP Tools
E: HP Recovery
Unallocated 420.2

Not sure if I should get rid of D or E.
Not sure if it wise to extend C beyond 500gigs. I'm thinking that maintenance programs like my Smart Defrag2 etc, would have a lot more real estate to cover if I make the C partition too large ..but I'm no expert and that is just my 'guess' at this point.

Thoughts on the above welcome!
Thanks in advance

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Partitions are a matter of personal preference but keep in mind that data that you cannot afford to lose should be backed up to another source such as an independent HDD or disk because if a HDD physically fails then you will not be able to access any partition on the HDD.

Regarding D: HP Tools and E: HP Recovery If both are still relevant to your computer I suggest that you 100% keep E: HP Recovery but check what tools are actually on D: HP Tools and whether you need them or not (many are never used) post the list with your next reply so we can see what if any tools are of use.

Not being lazy here but I have copy/paste an explanation of how much storage space there actually is on a 1TB HDD;

see hard disk is secondary memory
so 1kb=1000bytes
1gb=1000*1000*1000 bytes

os measure capacity interms of primary memory
where 1 gb=1024*1024*1024 bytes

so exact space is
(your hard drive space which is 1000GB)/primary memory(1gb)
1000*1000*1000*1000/1024*1024*1024

=931.322GB

its same for all os
this is capacity of standard hard drive
but hard drive manufactures state they can't
exactly make 1 tb hard drive
so thats approx disk capacity they give
so according to that all 1Tb drives have near about 930 GB space