Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU fan starts then stop 1 second later

• Please log in to reply

abeally

abeally

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I am building a new pc and when I start the pc, the cpu fan starts then turns off 1 second later. Are idea why this is happening.

My system build is:
I5 3570k
Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77M-D3H
Crucial Ballistix 8gb DDR31600mhz
Corsair TX650V2 650W
Sapphire11200-14-20G 2gb HD7850

I did notice I have two ATX connecter on the motherboard ( 24 and 4 pin). My power supply only has a 24 pin cable and not a 4 pin. Would this cause the problem?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
:welcome: abeally

I did notice I have two ATX connecter on the motherboard ( 24 and 4 pin).

Before I do some research on your MB can I just clarify something.

The 24 pin connection is the main ATX power connection for your MB, the previous type had only 20 pins and this is possibly what you are thinking of.

Does the 4 pin connection have two yellow and two black wires.
Have you connected a 4 pin connection to the MB that has the yellow and black wires that I refer to above.

abeally

abeally

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply. I have fixed my issue. I plug the 8 pin cable in to the 4 pin connector.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup:

Just a FYI, that 8 pin connection is the 4 + 4 type and can actually be separated so that you have a single 4 pin connection plugged in, not important if you have the room for the additional 4 pins to overhang but it would be if you had something like a capacitor in the way.