Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot to black screen with cursor [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jhackofalltrades

Jhackofalltrades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
To answer your first post, yes that error message was produced when trying to install Adobe AIR from the installer.

OTL produced this log:

OTL logfile created on: 1/29/2013 2:48:10 AM - Run 7
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 Folder = C:\Documents and Settings\Philip\Desktop
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (Version = 5.1.2600) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 8.0.6001.18702)
Locale: 00000409 | Country: United States | Language: ENU | Date Format: M/d/yyyy

2.00 Gb Total Physical Memory | 1.36 Gb Available Physical Memory | 67.87% Memory free
3.35 Gb Paging File | 2.87 Gb Available in Paging File | 85.53% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): C:\pagefile.sys 1536 3072 [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\WINDOWS | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 465.76 Gb Total Space | 255.63 Gb Free Space | 54.88% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive D: | 6.01 Gb Total Space | 0.00 Gb Free Space | 0.00% Space Free | Partition Type: UDF

Computer Name: DILBERT | User Name: Philip | Logged in as Administrator.
Boot Mode: Normal | Scan Mode: All users
Company Name Whitelist: Off | Skip Microsoft Files: Off | No Company Name Whitelist: Off | File Age = 30 Days

========== Custom Scans ==========

< HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer >
"Type" = 288
"Start" = 3
"ErrorControl" = 1
"ImagePath" = %systemroot%\system32\msiexec.exe /V -- [2006/02/28 07:00:00 | 000,077,312 | ---- | M] (Microsoft Corporation)
"DisplayName" = Windows installer
"ObjectName" = LocalSystem

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer\Security]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer\Enum]

< MD5 for: MSIEXEC.EXE >
[2006/02/28 07:00:00 | 000,077,312 | ---- | M] (Microsoft Corporation) MD5=4236AE241F193F58ADAB141CECCFD5F4 -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
[2008/04/14 04:42:30 | 000,078,848 | ---- | M] (Microsoft Corporation) MD5=5879D691E842574A20FE63817CB76DF9 -- C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\9866fb57abdc0ea2f5d4e132d055ba4e\msiexec.exe
[2008/04/14 04:42:30 | 000,078,848 | ---- | M] (Microsoft Corporation) MD5=5879D691E842574A20FE63817CB76DF9 -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\msiexec.exe

< MD5 for: MSIEXEC.EXE-2F8A8CAE.PF >
[2013/01/29 02:38:16 | 000,031,632 | ---- | M] () MD5=1A3CE3C17572730A73A8F615E001A41B -- C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\MSIEXEC.EXE-2F8A8CAE.pf

< End of report >

Advertisements

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi Jhackofalltrades,

Let's try the following before doing a more aggressive fix.

Please boot your computer to safe mode for these steps.

Please select the "Start" button and click on "Run." Type "cmd" in the box and press enter. At the command prompt, type:

msiexec /regserver

Please notice the space between the c and the /. Let me know if it produces any error message and try to install the Windows Updates again. If that works try Adobe AIR as well.

Jhackofalltrades

Jhackofalltrades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I logged on as administrator in safe mode, rather than my usual profile. I tried running the command and it took, but both fixits failed. The second fixit, I tried first, I got the same generic error msg that I had received before. The first fixit ran but failed saying that it couldn't connect to the server. So i rebooted it in safe mode with networking and logged in as administrator again. I tried the second fixit again, desktop locked up. It didn't throw me completely out, so I ran the msiexec /regserver command again and tried the second fixit again.The second fixit failed with the same generic failure message. The first fixit also failed, with the same can't connect message "We're sorry, but the program encountered an error trying to contact the server. please try again later. code 80090008

Adobe AIR also failed to install, but this time it got past the EULA this time before telling me I wasn't authorized.

Should we be NOT using this computer as if things were normal until we're done? We've discovered that the graphics drivers are either wrong or not up to date since the colors are wrong at a puzzle site she goes to.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi Jhackofalltrades,

Let's try reinstalling the installer (kind of sound confusing, doesn't it? Posted Image).

Do all of these steps in normal boot mode. Save any work and close all running programs before you begin as your computer will automatically reboot.

First, download the attached file to your desktop and double-click on it to run it. It should reboot your computer when it is done. If it does not do so, reboot your computer manually. When your computer reboots, you will have a log file on your desktop named "installerfix.txt." If the log is empty, everything went well. If not, please copy the log into your next reply.

Now, download this file and double-click on it. Follow any prompts to complete the installation. Reboot your computer again when done.

Now see if your windows update works, or if Adobe AIR can uninstall/reinstall.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Oops, forgot the attachment.

Attached Files

Jhackofalltrades

Jhackofalltrades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Okay, the reinstall of the installer went well enough that the installerfix.txt log was generated empty. I downloaded the WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86 file, following prompts until reboot. everything went well. Windows update still fails in the same spot. Adobe AIR was uninstalled and then an updated version was installed, so that's fixed now.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
What error message/number do you get for Windows Update? Is it the same as before?

Jhackofalltrades

Jhackofalltrades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Yes, still the same message failure as before, error 0x80090008

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi Jhackofalltrades,

Well, we fixed Adobe and your windows installer. Let's go after the updates. Download and run this fixit and let me know if it fixes the update problem.

Jhackofalltrades

Jhackofalltrades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I downloaded the fixit and ran it. It gave me an option for aggressive running, which I didn't opt for. I ran the fixit and rebooted the computer as required once it finished. Windows update failed with the 80090008 error, same as before. I ran the fixit again, checked the aggressive option, and rebooted the computer as required once it finished. Windows update again failed with 80090008 error, same as before.

Advertisements

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi Jhackofalltrades,

Is the time on your computer clock correct (including the date/year)? You can check it by right-clicking the clock and selecting "adjust date/time." Try synchronizing your clock to an internet time server, as shown below:

Posted Image

If the time is incorrect, it will mess up windows updates (strange but true).

Jhackofalltrades

Jhackofalltrades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I re-synched the time to the .nist.gov site and then tried the windows update site. Same failure code [Error number: 0x80090008]. Once I pick either express or custom, the update site fails with that code.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi Jhackofalltrades,

Do you have automatic updates turned on? Do they download automatically if you turn them on?

Could you please post your update log, located at C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log (you can attach it)?

Are there any other problems with the computer?

Jhackofalltrades

Jhackofalltrades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Automatic updates are on and the time they are scheduled to install is 10am, a time when both of us should be well asleep. I opened up the log (file is attached) and saw that MSI.dll that I have is 3.0 and apparently 3.1 is required. And I saw a bunch of other gibberish that I didn't understand in there as well.

Other problems my computer has that I'm aware of... The only thing that I know of right now is that my display adapter drivers don't seem to be correct. When I try to run my ATI Catalyst Control Center program, I get a warning box that says "The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. Please update your ATI graphics driver, or enable your ATI adapter using the Displays Manager." It's probably related, but when I right click the desktop, I can choose 'Properties' which gets me to 'Display Properties' from the box that opens. Under setting and color quality, I only have the choices of 32 bit Highest and 16 bit Medium. I used to have more choices than that.

Did you want me to try to find the drivers in the system and update all of them that I can? I don't want to screw up what you're doing and dealing with.

I'll start using the computer more often now, putting it through its various programs and paces, trying to find more things wrong.

Attached Files

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi Jhackofalltrades,

Could you please try uninstalling
Online Armor firewall and then try updating. It seems like updates stopped working about the time you installed it. Let me know if it works.

As for your graphics drivers, updating to the latest version from the manufacturer's website should fix your problems. Let me know if you need help with that.