Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard & Mouse not responding but appear to be working fine

• Please log in to reply

bg111

bg111

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi All.

I recently bought a wireless mouse to go with my wireless keyboard. Everything was fine for a couple of days and I was just thinking how happy I am with my purchase when I popped it back on the charger and my computer instantly froze, nothing was responding so I powered it down, using the power button. I turned it on today and neither the mouse nor keyboard are working. I unplugged them and plugged in a normal mouse and keyboard, tried them in the USB ports in the back and front of the machine. Nothing is responding though the machine appeares to be working fine, the little light comes on the mouse when I move it and the computer runs normally, downloaded some updates today and I power it off using the power button.

I am obviously typing this on a different computer and I cant get onto the machine to tell you much about it, other then it's a Dell Dimension 9150 using Windows XP.

Any ideas, help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello bg111

Can you check the Device Manager for us to see if there are any yellow exclamation triangles or red Xs and then post back.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi

I can’t do anything on it, the mouse and keyboard won’t respond from start-up. When I move the mouse around it lights up but the pointer stays in the middle of the screen, the keyboard doesn’t light up at all if I move between the caps lock, scroll lock etc and there is no response from the windows key. I tried switching them around and using different keyboard/mouse (which I know work) in every USB port, nothing is moving. The computer boots up and shuts down fine if I use the power button to turn off. I have checked the back of the machine and I don’t have a port for a mouse or keyboard with the round ends.

Also sadly the computer is quite old, though working fine till yesterday and has been through several house moves and I no longer have the windows discs.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
My apologies when I read that you plugged in a normal mouse and keyboard I thought that you meant the PS2 type (round) and that worked.

What is the brand and model name or number of the computer please.

If it is a Dell try USB port 1 on the rear of the computer (see below) as they are often set in the BIOS to work by default if there is a problem with the USB ports, other brands may be the same.

NB: I will be away from the computer for a few hours shortly but will check back asap.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Its a Dell Dimension 9150:

http://support.dell....en/sm/specs.htm

I am at work at the moment. I will try the ports again when i get home and let you know.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
No, there is no difference with those ports. The mouse still lights up when I move it but the pointer doesnt move. And the keyboard lights dont come on at all either.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Some questions if I may;

What sequence is the front diagnostic light panel showing.
Have you had any error beeps or on screen messages at any time.
Have you tried another USB device in the ports (a printer for example) and if so did it work.
Have you tried recalibrating (pairing) the mouse and keyboard, there should be a button on the base of each.
Have you tried replacing the batteries, never rule out new batteries and especially if they are Chinese imports.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
After it went wrong I tried using a normal keyboard and mouse that plug into the USB ports, the same ones I am using now on this computer. I dont get any error messages or alarm beebs. I have some music eqiupment, an MBOX mini and a music keyboard plugged in. The Mbox was not powered but the keyboard was receiving power as i could see some lights change on it. It looks like a battery symbol might be flashing on the front display.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The Mbox was not powered but the keyboard was receiving power as i could see some lights change on it.

The keyboard light is most likely battery powered, to check this remove the keyboard batteries and see if the keyboard still illuminates when connected to a USB port.

It looks like a battery symbol might be flashing on the front display.

There are 4 diagnostic lights which are numbered 1-2-3-4 from left to right, what numbers stay permanently illuminated in green.

I am suspecting that the USB ports are disabled or have possibly failed due to the keyboard not even working when plugged into USB port 1 on the rear of the case.

Have you tried recalibrating (pairing) the mouse and keyboard, there should be a button on the base of each.
Have you tried replacing the batteries, never rule out new batteries and especially if they are Chinese imports.

Depending on the feedback regarding the additional details that I have requested above these two questions may not need to be answered.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I did try to recalibrate the mouse and keyboard but it didn’t work, the mouse and keyboard I have been trying since are normal non wireless ones which I know work. There was no number on the front that stayed light up; the only thing on there was the flashing battery light. The keyboard (organ) that I mentioned in an earlier post is not battery powered; maybe I should try that again when I get home.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I did try to recalibrate the mouse and keyboard but it didn’t work,

If the USB ports are disabled or bad they will not work, an option = try them on another computer.

the mouse and keyboard I have been trying since are normal non wireless ones which I know work.

Which plug into the USB ports** and again will not work if the USB ports are disabled or bad.
** Based on the earlier information that you did not have a PS2 (round) type keyboard.

There was no number on the front that stayed light up; the only thing on there was the flashing battery light

The diagnostic lights that I refer to http://support.dell....t.htm#wp1054184

the only thing on there was the flashing battery light.

Please describe what and where this flashing light is for us.

The keyboard (organ) that I mentioned in an earlier post is not battery powered;

Apologies as I interpreted it to be your qwerty keyboard in your earlier reply.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
hmm, that doesn’t look to good. There were definitely no illuminated numbers after the computer had started, they do flash in and out during the start-up procedure. I’m not sure how to describe the battery symbol; maybe I should attach a picture of the whole display when I get home.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The lights do not have visible numbers on them and that is why they are interpreted as NO1 to the left up to NO4 the furthest to the right with 2-3 in between, so for example if the USB ports had failed NOs 2-3-4 would remain illuminated and NO1 unlit.

If the power light is blinking amber, the computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.

Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable).

Could this be what you are describing.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Almost, it was blinking but it was definitely green.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

If the power light is blinking green, the computer is in standby mode.
Press a key on the keyboard, move the mouse, or press the power button to resume normal operation.

The keyboard and mouse part you cannot do but you could try a quick press of the power button to see if you can at least get a display.

There is nothing more that you can do now until you have the PC in front of you, I am off work today and will be here until around 11pm UK time so when you are able to post back and we will suggest some checks for you to do, are you ok with taking the side off the computer, full guidance will be given if required.