Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard & Mouse not responding but appear to be working fine

• Please log in to reply

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi, yes, that should be fine.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:thumbsup:

Quick question for you, has the computers time and date settings been constantly correct, an explanation as to why I ask below;

In order for a computer to successfully boot, the BIOS, operating system and hardware components must all be working properly; failure of any one of these three elements will likely result in a failed boot sequence.

When the computer's power is first turned on, the CPU initializes itself, which is triggered by a series of clock ticks generated by the system clock. Part of the CPU's initialization is to look to the system's ROM BIOS for its first instruction in the startup program. The ROM BIOS stores the first instruction, which is the instruction to run the power-on self test (POST), in a predetermined memory address. POST begins by checking the BIOS chip and then tests CMOS RAM. If the POST does not detect a battery failure, it then continues to initialize the CPU, checking the inventoried hardware devices (such as the video card), secondary storage devices, such as hard drives and floppy drives, ports and other hardware devices, such as the keyboard and mouse, to ensure they are functioning properly.

Once the POST has determined that all components are functioning properly and the CPU has successfully initialized, the BIOS looks for an OS to load.

The BIOS typically looks to the CMOS chip to tell it where to find the OS, and in most PCs, the OS loads from the C drive on the hard drive even though the BIOS has the capability to load the OS from a floppy disk, CD or ZIP drive. The order of drives that the CMOS looks to in order to locate the OS is called the boot sequence, which can be changed by altering the CMOS setup. Looking to the appropriate boot drive, the BIOS will first encounter the boot record, which tells it where to find the beginning of the OS and the subsequent program file that will initialize the OS.

Once the OS initializes, the BIOS copies its files into memory and the OS basically takes over control of the boot process. Now in control, the OS performs another inventory of the system's memory and memory availability (which the BIOS already checked) and loads the device drivers that it needs to control the peripheral devices, such as a printer, scanner, optical drive, mouse and keyboard. This is the final stage in the boot process, after which the user can access the system’s applications to perform tasks.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi, I booted it up to look check the time, it is spot on.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

All that we can do now is restore the MBs factory default settings by removing the CMOS battery for a while and then replace it, full details below along with the guidance for "how to" carry out certain tasks safely, any questions whatsoever please ask;

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Ensure that your front USB ports are connected securely to the MB (motherboard) remove the CMOS battery, clean out any dust and check that all other connections are secure, replace the CMOS battery, reassemble the computer and see if USB port 1 at the rear of the case will allow your keyboard to work, if it does you will then be able to enable the other USB ports if they have not been automatically enabled.

Good luck.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
ok, well I did it. When I started the computer again numbers 1,2 and 3 are light up accross the front panel and on the monitor messages are:

Time of day not set - Please run setup program
Invalid configuration information - Please run setup program
Alert! Previous fan failure
Alert! System battery voltage is low

Strike F1 key to continue etc.

The Keyboard is still not working though so I cant hit the key to continue.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The diagnostic lights could mean a number of devices unfortunately including the USB ports and the PSU not providing the correct power to the ports.

Time of day not set - Please run setup program
Invalid configuration information - Please run setup program

Both messages are expected and could be easily remedied with a working keyboard.

Alert! Previous fan failure

This is a concern as it could be either the CPU or PSU fan.

Alert! System battery voltage is low

Replacing the CMOS battery will resolve this and it is unlikely that it is preventing the USB ports from working.

Do you have or can you borrow a PS2 keyboard, if you can get one you could try an adaptor like the one at the attached link http://www.amazon.co...204XBKGFNGXKN8C

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I can ask in the IT department tomorrow. see if i can borrow one.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I will look out for an update.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I got the keyboard, the adaptor could take a week or so with xmas post. will let you know.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Let us know if you wish to try any further testing meanwhile.

Have you tried the mouse and keyboard on another computer to see if they work ok.

The fact that the USB port 1 is not working with any keyboard is worrying.

Advertisements

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi

I got the adaptor today, tried it with the keyboard but there is still no response.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Was this in USB port 1 which is the upper left port as you look directly at the rear of the computer.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Yes

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
It would appear that your USB ports have either failed or become disabled somehow which as you are aware severely restricts what you can do.

Have you tried the original keyboard on another computer as I suggested earlier, test the replacement keyboard on another computer also if you can.

Two options you have are to replace the CMOS battery which was reported as being low in your reply #20 and fitting a PCI USB card, you may be able to get these from your IT department.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I have tried other keyboards and mice. I will ask in the IT department next week for the other bits, may have to buy them though. Will let you know.