Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard & Mouse not responding but appear to be working fine

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I have tried other keyboards and mice

Please clarify, you have tried the present two keyboards on another computer and they both work, is this correct.

We always try to avoid the need for any financial outlay if at all possible but unfortunately due to the fact that your computer does not have the alternative type PS2 ports for the keyboard and mouse it has forced the issue, hence the reason why I suggested asking the IT department.

Advertisements

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Yes that is correct, they are the ones I am using now on another computer. Will I be able to install a PCI USB card ok without a working keyboard when I turn the machine back on?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
They are normally plug and play and so require no additional drivers http://www.ebuyer.co...-and-sp-6212-4p

I would replace the CMOS battery first as it must be done in any event for the computer to function correctly, you can purchase those on the high st + it may resolve the lack of USB port issue.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Is there only one type of CMOS battery?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
For modern desktop computers yes, please refer to my reply #19 for guidance relating to CR2032 battery replacement.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi

Had an email that my USB card has been posted. Hopefully wont be long now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Ok. I now have the card and the battery, I put the battery in and it still says Low Voltage?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Leave the battery in for a while the computer is on and see if the low voltage message goes.

Does your USB card work ok.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Sadly not. The Low Voltage message has gone but the keyboard still isnt working, so I still cant get past the Strike F1 to continue or F2 etc part.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Couple of suggestions for you to do in the following order;

To try and determine if it is a power issue disconnect the hard drive and CD/DVD drive power cables and tuck them away securely, reconnect only the power cord, keyboard/mouse and your screen, turn on the power and press Ctrl+Alt+Enter or keep tapping Del to see if you can enter BIOS.

Remove the CMOS battery and leave the computer disconnected from the main power outlet overnight, replace the CMOS battery and the power cord, turn on the power and again try and access the BIOS by using whichever method your computer uses.

Sadly if neither option works you may have a defective motherboard.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I disconnected the power to the CD drive and hard drive, but that has'nt work. I have removed the battery now and will leave it tonight.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
No luck! replaced the battery today and fired it up again but still no life to the keyboard.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
How far into the boot process does the computer get to at present please.

Things to try for us if you will;

Connect a keyboard to USB port one and while the computer is attempting to boot keep on tapping F2 on the keyboard, if still no joy try restarting the computer without any keyboard and mouse attached and when the computer gets as far as it will go before coming to a halt reconnect the keyboard/mouse and see if there is any change.

NB: It is vital that you are not trying to use any keyboard and mouse that come bundled with an installation disk as they often require the software to be installed before they will function.