Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Keyboard & Mouse not responding but appear to be working fine

• Please log in to reply

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi. I borrowed another keyboard from work and tried both the things you sugested but neither work. I am getting a few seconds in, to the strike f1 to continue, f2 to enter setup part.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Time for a different approach now so lets try and see if the issue is caused by the OS or the HDD (hard drive) that the OS is on not recognizing the keyboard/s, the latter based on the Dell diagnostic lights suggesting another failure.

Do you have an XP, Dell reinstallation or back up disk that you may have created when you first got the PC, if not can you borrow an XP disk rom the IT department, if you borrow a disk it must be the same version as to what is presently installed or above, if you have XP Home installed you can use XP Pro but not the other way around for example.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I sadly dont have any of the discs anymore. I will ask at work on Monday.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Ok no worries but we may have another way of checking this out depending on whether you have a means of burning a Puppy Linux disk or a USB memory stick that Puppy can be downloaded to.

Some info as to why I am suggesting an other approach, as you are in fact getting the on screen messages strike f1 to continue, f2 to enter setup it may suggest that the keyboard has been recognized/initialized and that the problem lays elsewhere.

Let us know if you have either of the two options I suggest above and we can take it from there.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi, I do have a memory stick, so thats not a problem. They couldnt give me any discs at work, I found an old Reinstallation CD at my parents For XP Home Edition. This might be from our first family computer years ago.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
It will do no harm to at least try the XP disk first, let us know what happens when you do try the disk before doing anything further please.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Am I going to loose everything I had saved on the machine?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Initially we are checking to see if the disk will load and the keyboard become functional, nothing further as I stated in my previous reply;

let us know what happens when you do try the disk before doing anything further please.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi, with our without the disc it still gets to the same stage, hit F1 to continue etc. I have attached pic so you know the part I mean.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 02-02-2013 14 51 00.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Hello bg111

Please try disconnecting the HDD and restarting the PC with the XP disk in the optical drive, again to see if there is any change in the computers behavior.

I have asked colleague Wolfeymole to take a look at the topic as a second fresh pair of eyes may spot something that I have overlooked.

Advertisements

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi. Still no joy.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 02-02-2013 16 17 19.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Both screenshots are showing keyboard failure :confused:

Reconnect your HDD please.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Apart from disconnecting the hard drive a moment ago Bg111 have you ever been inside this machine before?

What I'm trying to find out is perhaps you may have dislodged the motherboard connectors for the usb's.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
In, the past yes, but not for months before it went wrong, I can check them if you like, if you tell me what im looking for.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
From my reply #19

Ensure that your front USB ports are connected securely to the MB (motherboard)

Follow the wires from the USB port/s on the front of the case to where they connect to the MB, disconnect and then reconnect them securely, the rear USB ports are soldered to the MB and so do not have any wires/connections.

While you are inside the case try swapping the USB PCI card that you purchased into another PCI slot.

There is still no getting away from the keyboard failure that is being reported though.