Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Issue

• Please log in to reply

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I've spent hours dealing with an issue I think I may have finally figured out. I was having issues with Windows 7 starting. The first odd thing was an extremely long restart process. It took forever to shut down and then to start again, 15-20 minutes atleast. After that the computer ran perfectly fine until it bluescreened with a message about page fault in nonpaged area.

After that Windows was stuck on "Starting Windows" I went through all kinds of mess for hours, including installing windows on multiple HDs (all installs getting stuck at "Starting Windows", until I pulled a single hard drive used for storage. A WD Caviar Green drive.

I've yet to do much testing past this right now. I'm just trying to get my computer set up to a usable state again.

What I'd like to know, if anyone can give some insight, how in the world a storage hard drive can keep windows from booting? Even on multiple fresh installs on different hard drives. I even had trouble getting my Vista/Windows 7 DVDs to even run (was installing both in an attempt to find a solution). They would often get to "Starting Windows" and then go to a black screen, whereas normally they'd launch with the options for installing/repairing windows.

And I wasn't sure where to post this. It seems to be both a hardware and OS issue?

Sure I was looking for a reason to make room and upgrade to an SSD but spending an almost literal half day to do it is a bit much....

Advertisements