Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking either PSU or Case fans are on their way out

• Please log in to reply

Sylus

Sylus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The BIOS check won't be for some few hours now, but I'll do it when the system boots up tonight when I get home.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
No worries as iammykyl will be back online while I`m not and he will look after you.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Also just hit me. I have low volt adapters for the two fans in question.. Should I try swapping to these lower volt/lower noise connectors when I get home and check, as a temp solution?

If they are the Noctua L.N.A.? They will limit the RPM, so cooling will be less efficient.

Fan control. See if it could be managed with the Asus Mobo utilities, (EPU Engine?)

the GTX680 has a 6 and 8 pin connector for power on it, my PSU has a small 2 pin to connect up to the 8 pin.

That should be OK. I asked as some people use a Molex adaptors which can have bad effects on power distribution.

Any chance of borrowing a PSU to swap in and do a test?

Sylus

Sylus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16835608020

This is the cooler I use on the CPU. And right now, low RPM is better than 0 RPM on my top 200mm fan. The top fan helps with the air from the PSU and the GPU quite a bit, noticing higher temps on a card that should be pulling lower temps than my 6950 DirectCU I had in there prior.

Has L.N.A and U.L.N.A. adapters.

Was also tempted to get a Zalman fan controller to replace the chassis one..

https://dl.dropbox.c...1219_001152.jpg Here's the BIOS image, sorry about quality, the flash garbled some numbers in the middle so I did a quick contrast edit to make the numbers legible. These may be different than my previous volts, as its not running stock any more. They were default settings originally for when I put the new hardware in, and reverted the BIOS to defaults. Went back to my old overclock profile to regain some performance.

Edited by Sylus, 18 December 2012 - 11:25 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Unfortunately that is not the correct BIOS screenshot, the one we require will be showing the +12V - +5V and the +3.3V PSU readings, see example below;

Sylus

Sylus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My mobo doesn't seem to let me get into the CMOS information page, I don't think I can get any more in depth information than that. I took another shot though, here: https://dl.dropbox.c...1221_000419.jpg

Sorry about the delay, things have been busy around here.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The voltages are showing as being fine in the BIOS but as I said earlier as the computer is not under load when you are in the BIOS the readings cannot be relied on, borrowing a known good PSU for testing purposes or having the present PSU professionally tested are your two safest options.