Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gaming rig, nearly complete and in need of review

• Please log in to reply

atphy42

atphy42

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First time building, any assistance at all is appreciated. How does this guy look in terms of value, upgradability, usefulness for the forseeable future, compatability, maximization of components, etc? I'm looking to run modern games really well without having to upgrade for a while (basically, until new games don't run at all). Very open to suggestions to lower price, of course. Not emotionally attached to any of these parts if a downgrade could be justified by the cost deduction. I'm using my TV as a monitor.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($366.97 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White/Red) ATX Full Tower Case ($97.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($20.95 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($14.50 @ Amazon)
Total: $1125.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-18 23:28 EST-0500)

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Hi atphy42, Posted Image
A really good configuration. The only change I would make is to go for my prefered case, the Antec Nine Hundred and G.Skill Ares Series, > http://www.newegg.co...82E16820231546.
A couple of item I recommend you add to your list,
An anti static wrist strap like this, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16899261005
and an internal system speaker/beeper,, controlled by the BIOS and gives beep codes if there is a problem at POST. > http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

The stock CPU cooler is more than capable of doing the job and, just so you are aware, installing an after market cooler and/or over-clocking the CPU will void your warranty.

Here is a how to build tutorial, thanks to Troy, and Artellos. > http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/208831-how-to-build-your-own-computer/
Always turn off the power when working on the computer and take anti static measures even when just handling parts.
Make sure to change/install the I/O shield in the case with the one supplied in the Mobo box.
Check carefully that the stand offs on the motherboard mounting plate match exactly the pattern and number of screw holes in the Mobo, no extra ones.

Good luck.

atphy42

atphy42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks! I'll take a look at both of those products. Are there any suggestions you'd make to get the total under $1000 without sacrificing upgradability? The performance on this guy is way overkill for most games and I'm not really looking to upgrade until I can't run newer titles at all, but I want to have the option to do that as efficiently as possible when the time comes around. I'd honestly be willing to take some pretty large hits to performance (coming off consoles, so as long as I can match that quality, we're fine) as long as I'm safe in terms of not having to replace the whole thing in 3 years.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Made some minor adjustments to the peripherals without impacting performance. Case is excellent. If you can't quite manage this price, I advice keeping the CPU and lowing sights on the video card a little.
> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tGCt

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Hi.
How is your selection going, made any decisions yet? Do you need any more help? An update would be appreciated.