Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Errors: How to proceed?

• Please log in to reply

Arance

Arance

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Been dealing with a number of errors over the past few months, including:
1. Game files installed on both my SSD (C:) and HDD (D:) suddenly becoming corrupted, requiring near daily repair to continue playing. Seemingly more frequent on games that require more memory space.
2. Games occasionally crashing due to a number of errors, most frequently noted as "Memory at address ____ could not be read."
3. Web pages, add-ons, and more rarely the browsers themselves, crashing and needing to be refreshed.
4. Rare BSOD's with a wide number of reported causes, but most frequently MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and BAD_POOL_HEADER.

Sounds like bad RAM, doesn't it? I thought so too, but became more unsure after numerous scans with Windows Memory Diagnostic turned up clean; as did scans of my C: and D: drives, and every other scan I could think to run. A clean reformat and re-install of both drives didn't fix the errors, leaving me certain it must be hardware-related. Now, just recently, I had the thought and opportunity to run Memtest86+ and it quickly racked up well over 100,000 error reports.

I'm actually quite encouraged by this, finally having an actionable result, but have to first ask: is there any way I can be sure from this that the problem lies with my RAM, and not something else like CPU cache? I want to be sure certain as possible that I've isolated the problem before spending cash. Any insight and advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Arance, 19 December 2012 - 12:38 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would say yes the memory is the issue.

Since you have not provided any specs on your system I cannot suggest anything further except if you have more then one memory module you may try to take out one and just try running with one. If it still does it then switch modules and try again. If still does it then I would suspect all your memory as being bad.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 21 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Arance

Arance

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ah, thanks for reminding me. I managed to get a RMA on my RAM pretty easily from the manufacturer and decided to go to the store and just buy two new sticks instead of waiting weeks without a computer. Have had no errors since installing the new RAM, so it seems that was the issue. Still unsure why Windows Memory Diagnostic reported no errors on the RAM for so long, but ecstatic to finally be done with those frustrations file corruptions and crashes.

Edited by Arance, 09 January 2013 - 06:25 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear and with that I am very happy to say Congratulations Arance. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible