Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i7 620m vs i7 720qm

• Please log in to reply

howtheflip

howtheflip

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hello everyone. Currently, I have an i5 430m in my laptop. There is nothing wrong with this processor, but I do want to stream and it tends to have more hiccups than I want when doing this. I'm trying to decide if a quad core that is slower or a dual core that is faster would help me with what I want to do more. I know a lot of people say go dual core when you want to play games and quad when you want to encrypt, aka streaming. But what do I do if I plan on streaming games? Compared to my cpu in single tasks, it goes 620m>720qm>430m, and multitasking it goes 720qm>620m>430m. The 720qm draws 10 more watts of power, which will make my laptop a bit hotter, but the fan is constantly on max for some odd reasons anyway so that would not bother me too much. The 720qm has 2 more mb of cache I believe as well, and is about 50 bucks cheaper. The only thing is that if the 620m can stream smoothly, I'd rather take the single task bonus and less power demanding machine considering how power demanding it already is. Can anyone clear this up for me? thanks.

Advertisements