Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer for Photoshop

• Please log in to reply

44Magnum

44Magnum

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello. My sister-in-law is a professional photographer. Since I have experience in putting together computers, I was asked to help her build a computer for her use. She uses Adobe Photoshop CS5 (wil probbably upgrade to CS6 soon) and takes photos in 32 MegaPixel, and maybe even more in the future. I tried putting together something on a norweigan website where I can buy parts, at it looks like this:

ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE $340
Corsair SSD Force Series GT 180GB 2.5" £235
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Elite 1600Mhz 4GB $130 (x4 $120)
Intel® Core i5-3570K $300
Lite-On DVD±RW Writer $30
Logitech Desktop MK120 Mouse and keyboard $27
Logitech Speaker System Z323 $60
PNY Quadro® 2000D 1GB GDDR5 $720
Seagate Barracuda® 3TB SATA 6Gb/s $190
Silver Power SP-S850 850W $135
In-Win EA040 Midi Tower $70

This is of course without a screen, of wich I have no clue of what to look for.

I tried posting this on a norwegian forum, and got an suggestion, which i doubted a little. It reads:

Asus PB278Q $785
Intel Core i7 3930K $735
Asus GeForce GTX 660 TI OC 2GB $425
Asus P9X79 PRO $375
Corsair SP2500 $225
Intel 335 Series SSD 240GB $220
Logitech G710 Gaming Keyboard $185
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 6Gb/s $170 (x2 $340)
Corsair TX850M 850W $160
Logitech G700 $100
CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE LP PC3-12800 1600MHZ CL9 (4X8GB) $200
And no case, whitch is not important

Theese are about the same price, only the screen makes the last example more expensive, but a screen is needed anyway.
My sister-in-law is willing to pay what it takes to get a computer good enough for her professional use. Se expects to paw at least $2500-3500. I don't know whats she's doing about sccreen, because she knows alot about it. Maby she picks a screen worth $3000-4000.

So my question is. What do you think? I just needs some other points of view. I accept that i don't know anything about this matter. I can accept the powerfull processor, the SSD, the HDD's and the PSU of the later example.
I have the Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE, the Intel Core i5-3570K myself, and are very happy with them all. I allso have the Logitech G700 Mouse, and are happy with that aswell.

The guy that gave me that latter example told me that a extremly good GPU wasn't neccesary, but then I ask myself, Why a GTX 660 TI? Is that neccesary then? Wouldn't I get a good enough card for $250-300?

Remember. This is a vcomputer to be used by a professional photographer. Not a gamer.

I appologize for spelling mistakes

Thank You

- Magnum

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:welcome: 44Magnum

Looking at both lists of parts you would get the best build with certain items from each list.

Some pointers for you as to what are important features for such a build.

Case, needs to have plenty of additional HDD (hard drive) bays for future expansion and excellent case cooling is a must.
MB (motherboard), choose a MB that has future upgrade potential such as increasing the Ram from 16GB to at least 32GB.
CPU, the processor should be an 8 core AMD or an i7 for it`s HyperThreading capabilities.
Ram, a minimum of 16GB to start with as that is adequate for now but as software develops it may need to be increased.
Video Card, a work station card such as the Quadro is fine but you can purchase desktop GPUs that will cope also but for a lot less cash.
SSD, SSD drives are primarily used for faster boot up times and not mass storage devices, 120 - 128GB is plenty big enough for the OS and updates for many years to come.
HDDs, choose multiple smaller 1TB HDDs as opposed to 3TB as HDD failure would result in the loss of an awful lot of data and adding additional HDDs in the future as required is both cost effective and manageable.
DVD R/W, pretty standard devices so not hard to choose one.
PSU, never decide on a PSU until all other components are decided on and confirmed as available, you can then use a PSU calculator for guidance, an example http://images10.newe...tage-Calculator stick with brands such as Antec, Corsair, OCZ or Seasonic.
OS, must be Windows 7 Professional and above for their 192GB Ram limit, Home Premium is capped at 16GB which is fine now but may not be enough should future software require more.

A list of parts together from an example website based on vendors here in the UK, let me know what you think or if you have any questions http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/tfRA

Respect to your avatar - YNWA :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi 44Magnum.

This article will give you a good basic understanding of PhotoShop requirements, > http://blogs.adobe.c...erformance.html

Will your sister in law depend on this rig for her living? Will she be able to keep a backup system? just the box.
Will you be able to give hardware support? if not, you may consider configuring the rig, then have it professionally built and tested, and get a support agreement and warranty.

44Magnum

44Magnum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for answering. I will consider everything. Yes she wil depend on this rig for living, and I didn't think about the support, but I can give her some. I guess she has lots of back-up. And I'll reccomend RAID aswell.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
How is your configuration going? Let us know if you want any more suggestions for a build.