Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"new" Mobo from Amazon

• Please log in to reply

JustKozlow

JustKozlow

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was wondering if there is a way to tell if a Mobo is used or refurbished.
I purchased, on Amazon, an advertised as new Mobo and before opening it I have reason to believe its not new.
Im kinda a noob to computer hardware.
Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: JustKozlow

Check for wear on the USB and other ports, look for fingerprints and such on the MB itself and check around the CPU slot for traces of thermal paste that may have smudged when a processor was fitted.

Do you have a link to the product on amazon so that we can take a look.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I purchased, on Amazon, an advertised as new Mobo

If the actual wording was "as new Mobo" I would say the board is second hand, It could be a returned item as being unsuitable, or a DOA, that has been repaired. A new item should be in the original box with the original seals.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Good catch iammykyl :thumbsup:

A nasty bit of word play in the advertising I must say, I asked for a link to the product to see if it was an open box or B grade product BTW.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image Phillpower2.
Them "nasty" phrases are a Favorited on Amazon and eBay. If the price is too good to be true!!!