Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my book 3 too may bad sectors but plays the files

• Please log in to reply

steliosbond

steliosbond

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello geek i have a problem with western digital my book 3 2tb usb3.my motherboard is usb2.
it plays my movies but fails diagnostic test:too many bad sectors.can you help me?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: steliosbond

If the HDD has bad sectors on it already more will follow so the drive is not to be trusted as it could fail completely at any time.

Back up any important data that you want from the HDD asap and do the following for us;

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

steliosbond

steliosbond

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thank you for your response for my promblem.i run the dlgdiag program diagnostics but fails to start the test.i have change usb 3 cable.i have split the disc in to parts.i formatted once but after a month the windows cannot recognize the hdd and tells me to format it.i have 1.5 tb data in it(too much).when it tells me to format thr only way to oped hdd is to re-install hdd drivers.i bought this disc for 130 euro.man please help.the screenshot is to complicated.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Have you backed up the data on the drive, if not you should try and do so now because if you are able to run any sort of diagnostic tool the stress could cause the HDD to fail, let us know if you require assistance with backing up the data.

If you are able to recover the data and the HDD is still covered by a warranty you should return it.