Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New battery won't charge

• Please log in to reply

bobcat78

bobcat78

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a dell laptop and it is around 5 years old now. Battery died a while back and I simply just always left it plugged in after. I tried a cheap replacement one off of Amazon. It didn’t work. Some of the reviews said it didn’t work with theirs but I was willing to take a chance.

Early this week I got tired of my laptop not being mobile and purchased a dell battery from their site the price had dropped since I last checked.
So I just received it and put it in and nothing! Get the message “plugged in, not charging”.

Now I realize that I could have gotten a bad battery but I don’t know as the off brand didn’t work either. I tried with a different power cord and it wouldn’t charge with that either. I have access to two other dell laptops going to see if the batteries are compatible to see if the other laptops will charge it.
Is there anything else I can try?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Hello bobcat78

Will the notebook run at all when it is not connected to the mains power and reliant only on the battery.

Couple of suggestions for you to try;

In case of static charge build up in the notebook remove the battery and AC adapter connection then press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace the battery and AC adapter and without turning on the notebook leave it connected to the mains power for a couple of hours and see if it charges.

http://www.brighthub...cles/50844.aspx

•Go into Control Panel
•Go to the System category
•Select View Advanced System Settings
•Go to the Hardware tab and click the Device Manage button
•Under the Batteries section right click on the Microsoft APCI-Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall
•Agree to the warning to uninstall
•Shutdown your computer
•Remove the battery for 1 minute
•Reinstall the battery
•Turn on your computer (with AC since your battery is probably dead)
•Windows should automatically recognize the new hardware and your battery should start charging again.

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello and thank you for the response.

It will run off the battery by itself. It was charged at 17% power when it came.

I tried both ideas and it still won’t charge. I did not notice if windows reinstalled it when I started it back up again but when I went to the device manager Microsoft APCI-Compliant Control Method Battery was there again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Hello bobcat78

Which other suggestion did you try apart from the APCI Control Method.

Have you tried running the battery right down and then connecting the AC adapter to charge the battery, if not try this and leave the battery charging overnight, I have heard of people having to do this 2-3 times before the battery would charge normally.

Any joy with the other Dell batteries,

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I tried when you said to remove the power and get rid of the static charge. Let it sit for several hours while plugged in and iit didn't work.

What do you mean about running the battery down and then connecting the AC adapter to charge the battery? Run the battery dry and then see if it charges?

Also someone told me to go into bios and look at the AC Adapter Type and next to that it says unknown device installed. So that can't be good.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

I tried when you said to remove the power and get rid of the static charge. Let it sit for several hours while plugged in and iit didn't work.
Have you checked to see if the battery has a reset button as suggested in the link that I provided.

What do you mean about running the battery down and then connecting the AC adapter to charge the battery? Run the battery dry and then see if it charges?
Yes as the battery may actually be charging and you are getting bogus readings, also it cannot do any harm because if the battery is not charging it will lose all charge in any event.

Also someone told me to go into bios and look at the AC Adapter Type and next to that it says unknown device installed. So that can't be good.
What does it say in the Device Manager when you expand the battery tab, you should have Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft APCI-Compliant Control Method Battery listed, do you have both.

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry for the delay the holidays took up alot of my free time.

It does not have a reset button only a button to see how the charge is.

I will run the battery dry then and see if that helps. I haven’t tried that yet.

Yes I have both the ac adapter and the Microsoft APCI. I posted the same message on another forum as I wasn’t sure about the responses I would get. Here is the other link http://www.pchelpfor...-charge.144188/ he seems to think it is a motherboard problem but I don’t know.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
No worries we understand :thumbsup:

We will wait for a follow up on running the battery down and then attempting to recharge it.

Not being pedantic but did it say Microsoft AC Adapter.

A common MB problem is the power jack port becoming loose or detached which can lead to various problems, is the port secure.

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes it did say Microsoft AC Adapter.

Have to wait a little longer to run the battery down. Laptop is stuck in sleep mode so I'll be taking it to the shop tomorrow.

About the port is that where you would plug in the power adapter?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Ok, good luck with the tech store and let us know what they recommend.

That is correct regarding the port, they can become loose or detached through nothing more than every day use.